• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual to auto

olivedrabcj7

NAXJA Member #1384
ive got an 88 laredo 5 speed and i want an automatic.....go ahead.......call me a wuss :) ...... im just wondering what all is involved in the swap (aside from the obvious) or if its even worth doing? or should i just find a cheap xj with an auto and swap everything over? any info or links is greatly appreciated.

olivedrabcj7 said:
ive got an 88 laredo 5 speed and i want an automatic.....go ahead.......call me a wuss :) ...... im just wondering what all is involved in the swap (aside from the obvious) or if its even worth doing? or should i just find a cheap xj with an auto and swap everything over? any info or links is greatly appreciated.

Do a search, I have an 88 and am doing an AW4 swap. Im using a newer aw4 1996 that is 23 spline, stronger then my 21 spline stuff. youd need a new t-case or a new inpur shaft if you swap to the 23 spline better stuff. your drive shafts will be different lengths. and you will need to figure out how to wire the tranny computer to your engine, a new CPS sensor for the auto...It will be a bit of work, but should be worth it IMO.

If your interested I've got an '88 AW4 taking up space in my garage. Not sure what part of AR your in, but I'm in central TX. Let me know if you want it and we can work something out.

William Crawley

It's a new TPS, not a new CPS that you will need. If the vehicle is already wired for the TCU, things are not that bad. Some people have problems getting the pilot bearing out of the end of the crank, and make sure and get the correct flexplate for the computer you are running. You will also need the mounting plate that goes on the throttle body to hold the kick down cable. Inside you will need to cover the hole in the tranny tunnel and get the new shifter as well as the facia plate around the shifter.

I did this swap because with a stroker, I was killing way to many axles. The auto has definate advantages in rock crawling.

Last edited:
reson46 said:
If your interested I've got an '88 AW4 taking up space in my garage. Not sure what part of AR your in, but I'm in central TX. Let me know if you want it and we can work something out.

William Crawley

well im a student on a really limited budget but yeah i think im going to go forward with the swap. pm me with a price for it.

hmm, with cherokee's being about 1500 on the market for anything in the 87-94 range, id say that buying another cherokee would be easier.

more fun? deffinitely not.
easier - for sure...

<joke>
i think you should swap a pugot in - they were great...

Back