• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding u joint caps

chad

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry, I think this has been covered, but I can't find it.
Does anyone have pics of how/where to weld the ujoint caps?
Thanks,
Chad

I imagine that you broke a cap retaining tab on a yoke? Just weld a small bead in the area the tab would be. It just has to keep the cap from spinning out. I had to do this as a temporary repair until I found a new yoke, now 3000 miles later its still holding up. I always carry a spare yoke and ujoint just in case but I haven't needed them yet.

No, I'm running 35's now and I've read that you need to spot weld the caps to the axles to make them stronger on the d30. It's a 2000, so I have the bigger ujoints, I just want to make them a little stronger, until I can upgrade the axle. Thanks though.
Chad

I'm running the non-disco shafts with 760's and that's what I did. Installed the u-joints, ground some clean metal free and then dropped a bead on each side of each cap, 180* from each other. Hit it with some spray paint so it doesn't look like crap and you're good to go.

I haven't had any issues since.

Back