• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Discovered new problem after lift

hawaiian89xj

NAXJA Forum User
I discovered that I have a main seal lead a buddie said alot of cherokee's get this problem, about how much of a job am I getiing into when I start this seal change?

It's not too bad, do a search here and you will find lots of info. Also check out Madxj, there's lots of info there. It's not too bad, getting the old gasket material off will be the hard thing. One big tip, go get the 1 piece gasket that is rubber and steel, it's way better than the 4pc cork thing. There are lots of tips out there here's a couple
1 use the bolts and some sealer and put the gasket on the block before you put the pan on.
2clean the pickup for the oil pump/maybe replace if its messy
3 on the rear main-put oil on the "oil" side and dish soap on the "metal"side.

I'm sure others will chime in with more.
go to this link pretty easy to followJeepin rear main seal

Last edited:
Again I agree with asatxj, but be prepared to lower your front suspension to get the oil pan completely off. The first time I tried this I just lowered the pan enough to get the old seal out and replaced it and it still leaked. Just take your time and get it right the first time.

Back