• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much lift do I need for 31's on stock rims?

Howey

NAXJA Forum User
I'm new to this sort of thing so please forgive my stupidity. I have a 99 Cherokee and would like to put 31's on it. I heard that I would need about 3" lift, is that about right? Any help in this matter would be great. Also I live in Alaska and it's crazy hard & expensive to have things shiped up here.Thanks

Last edited:
Yes 3" with 4.5" backspacing on the rims should fit with minimal trimming of the plastic front bumper valance. I also extended my bumpstops to keep the tires out of the fenders but that's with 3" lift and 31" TRXUS MT's which run larger than most brands. I plan to hack a bit off the fenders though at some point so I can gain back my articulation that I lost with the bumpstops. Just remember as go-jeep put it, no matter how high you lift, without changing bumpstops your tires will end up in the same place at full compression. Check out his site since it was the most helpful one I've come across so far. He also posts on this board. http://go.jeep-xj.info/

Last edited:
I was thinking about a skyjacker lift. A local shop quoted me like $360.00 for the kit. Is that to much? Also there is a Rubicon for about the same price?

I have been running 31" on stock rims for almost two years, with an old man emu saggy lift, about 2" I guess. No problems, except rubbing at the lower control arms at full turn, but that can be adjusted. Will also rub inner fender flares when offroading, but those have been removed :) I believe the 97+ XJs have tighter fender flares however. You may have to cut a little off the rear corner of your front bumper/flare.

Im runnin 31's with no lift. 1990 Pioneer. If you want pics just ask. Front fenders trimmed

31s with a 3" lift is a very good combination. However, according to Ed Stevens' web site, you can run 31s with no lift. Ed's testing was done on the older body style, and on the 97+ models there may be a tighter tolerance at the rear wheels, but it's still worth a shot.

A lot depends on how hard you plan to wheel your vehicle. I KNOW 31s fit for street, because I parked next to an XJ at my local AutoZone awhile ago and he was rolling on 31s with stock rims. I talked to the guy, and he said he'd been running it that way for a couple of years or more.

31s on a 2" RE BB
1esaix

Howey said:
Did you have to do any cutting in the fenders? Great pic also.

Thanks. Fenders are trimmed because I found that when I was at full flex althoug the tires tucked under the flares, they hit metal. I trimmed and moved the stock flares up a little.

White Knuckle Hill. Moab Utah. RE 3.5" lift with 31" tires. No trimming. Note that the front flare has been removed. She caught it on a branch and peeled it off. The day before this pix she ran Pritchett Canyon.

Sorry...didn't get pix in:
3DSC_0152-med.JPG

Danno said:
White Knuckle Hill. Moab Utah. RE 3.5" lift with 31" tires. No trimming. Note that the front flare has been removed. She caught it on a branch and peeled it off. The day before this pix she ran Pritchett Canyon.

Back