• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

currie HP44

I have only seen a couple guys running this axle, but it is basically an inport 44 front from south american XJs.

These axles have all D30 outer stuff, so you really are only gaining a slight increase in R&P strength, and 30 splines.

But, for instance, if you wanted 30 splines, and want an ARB, order the 30 spline ARB, and get __X___ D44 shafts narrowed to fit the XJ axle, and use D30 outer shafts.

Just my .02$, dont waste the $...either build a real 44, or build the turdy.

shimmy said:
import huh? ya learn something new everyday... thanks

Export, actually. Some went to SA with D44 fronts...and I KNOW of USGS rigs that were ordered with D44 fronts. Hooray for Gov't auctions.

ECKSJAY said:
Export, actually. Some went to SA with D44 fronts...and I KNOW of USGS rigs that were ordered with D44 fronts. Hooray for Gov't auctions.

Makes sense...I didnt think they made any dana axles in SA :D

If I ever saw one under a rig, w/a cheap price tag on it, I would be hard pressed not to just get it, to say I have a bolt in 44 I got out of an XJ. :D

You could also prolly do billavistas inner swap and gain 44 outer stuff....

shimmy said:
has anyone ever gotten one of these made for them? i know i could find a LP44 but thats only marginally stronger than a d30... and the cost of a HP44 would be pretty high once i finish rebuilding it

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/Product.aspx?id=1003

brandon
PS, what comes with this axle, everything?

It would actually be quite cool (if you wanted to stay with OEM 4 link setup) to take an SA XJ 44, add a Warn 5 on 5.5" hub kit, WJ knuckles and brakes, and Warn inner shafts with CTM's. I think you'd have a very stout 44, stronger than an OEM full size truck 44 with 19 spline outers for sure. Very good twin piston brakes, and of course the higher steering of the WJ knuckles.

It may drive the cost too far into the Tera or Pro-Rock 60 range to be worth the effort, though.

CRASH

Some fellas here have taken a '76 or '77 F150 HP 44 and cut it down to Wagoneer size and used the FSJ inner axles. That would seem to be the most logical way to get a HP44 and bigger brakes and steering. You can generally mix and match knuckle sets on 44s to get the steering/bolt pattern you are after.
Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind doing just that but use 3/4 ton GM knuckles and then set up a FF D60 or 14 bolt in stock(ish) width for the back.

Hmmm.....

RKBA said:
Some fellas here have taken a '76 or '77 F150 HP 44 and cut it down to Wagoneer size and used the FSJ inner axles. That would seem to be the most logical way to get a HP44 and bigger brakes and steering. You can generally mix and match knuckle sets on 44s to get the steering/bolt pattern you are after.
Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind doing just that but use 3/4 ton GM knuckles and then set up a FF D60 or 14 bolt in stock(ish) width for the back.

Hmmm.....

Yeah, that's the way everybody (including me) has done it. It's easy and SOOOOOO 2000.

We're talking unique and cool. High bling factor. Major mojo points.

I think Paul Sinclair is just the person to take this on, since he already has all of the outer parts, and just needs to get the 44 assembly. And, he has an "in" over at Currie.

Plus, his R&P budget has been taking major hits lately on the 30.......

CRASH

CRASH said:
Yeah, that's the way everybody (including me) has done it. It's easy and SOOOOOO 2000.

We're talking unique and cool. High bling factor. Major mojo points.

I think Paul Sinclair is just the person to take this on, since he already has all of the outer parts, and just needs to get the 44 assembly. And, he has an "in" over at Currie.

Plus, his R&P budget has been taking major hits lately on the 30.......

CRASH

Nope, it's not for me. I've only broken 1 pinion in 7 years, I'll take that rate of carnage along with the added clearance.

I only know of one person with the export 44 & I recall 2 issues with it.
1) coil buckets & inner knuckles were not set very well, meaning there was some variation from drivers side to passanger side (more than the domestic 30's at any rate).
2) required a one of a kind, hard to find inner axle seal.

My newest plan is a FROR toy housing & HP 3rd member. Not sure if I'd do this & retain my 30 hubs & WJ junk or go with 44 knuckles.

Paul

Paul S said:
My newest plan is a FROR toy housing & HP 3rd member. Not sure if I'd do this & retain my 30 hubs & WJ junk or go with 44 knuckles.

Paul

OMG!!!!!!!

You can't be serious?

What does it wieght less?

:rolleyes:

hinkley

Paul S said:
Yes & Yes, & way more clearance.

I think I'm developing OCD in my old age, I got a UPS scale for my garage
:)

Paul

It's OK, Paul, I'm using an HP FJ80 Toy front and rear in my buggy. Both electric locked. Yummy and lightweight!

CRASH

Hopeless, indeed!
picture.JPG

Back