• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exo-cage.

hillbilly_jeeper

NAXJA Member #1081
hey all, im looking into building an exo-cage and custome rock skids. my plan is to build a good set of 2x4 rock skids tied in to the frame, pinch seam, and maybe even floor, so that i can also use them to attach the windshield hoop, and the hoop behind the door. and then build good custome front and rear bumpers to tie the rest together. im working on a 93 2-door. im looking for ideas, sugestions, pictured, type of material, whats worked for you, whatse proven, ect. we have basically a full machine shop in our garage, so i have most all the tools i'd ever need. my dads an expericnced welder of 40 years. so the fab part is covered. just looking for sugestions.

sure i can search, and am, and have been researching it for months. but i wantr current info. and besides, whats with the whole seach thing anyways?? are we that lazy that we cant talk about something again thats been talked about?? if we all jsut searched, there wouldent be any reason for alot of the new posts. then what??

Based on all my Searching, it sounds like you have the basics figured out. Have you considered cutting out the stock rockers and installing 2x5 or 2x6 tube and then tying it all together? What other ideas on materials, design, etc. have you come up w/ during Your searching?
I am For discussing the topic, but I know lately it has been done to death. I'll STFU now and see if any new info comes out of this.

hillbilly_jeeper said:
...and besides, whats with the whole seach thing anyways?? are we that lazy that we cant talk about something again thats been talked about?? if we all jsut searched, there wouldent be any reason for alot of the new posts. then what??

Because if we always talked about the same 5 subjects no one would come around - it would be fawking boring.

Which lift kit?
Which axle swap?
33's or 35's for 6" lift?
Do i need an SYE?
Opinions on Rusty's lift kits?

If no one kept boldy requesting that the search button be used, these are the 5 subjects you would be answering. And the NAXJA forums would turn into a ghost town, you can only answer the same questions so many times. Now i realize that the topic of an exo is not the most common of subjects, but the principle is the same.

Oh, and since i dont actually have any experience with exo's... i must refer you to the SEARCH. :laugh3:

all in good fun,
-jm

hillbilly_jeeper said:
are we that lazy that we cant talk about something again thats been talked about?? if we all jsut searched, there wouldent be any reason for alot of the new posts. then what??

Are you that lazy that you can't use the search feature? It wouldn't be such a pain to sift though all those threads that pop up when you search if everybody didn't start a new thread to collect the same information. You can post in an old thread. That's better than starting a new thread on the same subject.
Bottom line, if you're not going to search, please have a more specific question so that we're not giving the same advice 5 times a month.
/. rant
Billy

ok. about how much tubing do you use on average? im going to be having the tubing delivered to my work, so i want to know an apoximate amount.

ok. more specific questions. on design, i already plan on somehow triangulating it inside. but out side, ive seen many diffent ways done. ive seen some where they make like a square out for the roof, then attach runner up to that, some where they run one pience of tubing from the front to back, up along the roof. and some where they go up, over the roof, and back down. anything prefered?
and im not opposed to seach. just frustirating to have searched, and not found all that i want to know, and then get told to seach. maybe i just need to be more specfic.

attach it to the roof. i dont have the pics anymore but it was one where it was getting strapped from the roof, lots of trianlges on the roof and it attached to the gutter rail.

Ramsey said:
attach it to the roof. i dont have the pics anymore but it was one where it was getting strapped from the roof, lots of trianlges on the roof and it attached to the gutter rail.

allready plan to at least attach it to the rain gutters. but i also plan to run it through the roof inside somehow. right now my biggest question, that i ahve not found and anwsere to by searching, is about how much tubing did you use? i know it really depends. id like an average so i can call for prices. i know i could get out a tape measure, and go after it. but seems kinda unaccurate.

well you gotta decide on a design then measure. only way to get close, there are so many different ways you could make an exo that it would be hard to go by someone elses number

yeah, i know. im just lookig for a ballpart estiment. i know petersons used about 180 feet, but that wasent with anytihng inside. im figuring a minimum of 200 feet. dont know if im close or not. a little scared to find out how much its gonna cost!!

Back