• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems With the RE X Heavy Duty Trackbar and bracket

XJhammer

NAXJA Forum User
Here is the problem. Every time, or almost every time I go wheeling the bolts on the bracket attaching to the frame come loose. Is anyone out there having the same problem, or know how make this not a problem anymore?

XJhammer said:
Here is the problem. Every time, or almost every time I go wheeling the bolts on the bracket attaching to the frame come loose. Is anyone out there having the same problem, or know how make this not a problem anymore?
Mine does the same thing.
CRANK down on the bolts. You can also get the optional brace that goes to the other framerail. It helps a little, but you still need to keep the bolts TIGHT!

Ive "Never" had a problem with mine,but I use a "torque" wrench and loctite on everything(almost 4 years now)!I also pre-assemble/tighten everything down slowly so it can settle in place and then remove one bolt at a time for loctite and final assembly!

After cranking the bolts to where I thought they'd break off, and having it still come loose, I welded it on, and got the brace. No more problems.

I tightend to the point that i broke off the factory nuts that are welded to that inner rail. It was the best thing that could have happend to me. It was probably two years ago, but I think i Just ran the two largest grade 8 bolts with lock washters and nuts through there. No problems since. Hopefully i am talking about the same bolts as you. Thinking about it now, you could probably run another nut down on it and lock it to the other, jsut for backup, can't remember if there is room.

Tried red locktight, just took longer to come loose. i think that my next plan is the grade 8 bolts and lock nuts on top.

Yes it's the four bolts that hold the new trackbar bracket in place. I think that I'll just replace all four and see what happens..

Are you re-using the stock fasteners? Just curious. Maybe a poly bushing rather than the RE flexy joint would transfer less shock to the bracket and not shake it loose so bad? I like Gene's idea to double nut it.

I just had this happen to mine last weekend... got a death wooble like a sob. Just figured out what it was. So I'm right there with ya.

I had this happen 2. Then I too have tack welded the nuts in place as well as add the trac bar brace, I have yet toi take this setup out.. I will let you know how it goes.

Patrick

cj7xjmj said:
I had this happen 2. Then I too have tack welded the nuts in place as well as add the trac bar brace, I have yet toi take this setup out.. I will let you know how it goes.

Patrick

tack welded the bolts? doesnt that weaken the metal properties of the bolts?

i was considering tacking the mount to the "frame" but i didnt think about tacking the bolts - anyone else have thoughts on this?

2004_1213Image0017.jpg
:wierd:

XJ_ranger said:
tack welded the bolts? doesnt that weaken the metal properties of the bolts?

i was considering tacking the mount to the "frame" but i didnt think about tacking the bolts - anyone else have thoughts on this?

The bolt doesn't heat up enough to affect anything if you're just tacking it. I can't speak from experience, but if you are looking to permanently attach the bracket to the frame, you are going to have to fully weld it to get it to handle the stress. You'll just have to do a lot of grinding to remove it if it breaks like in the picture above. As long as you can keep the bolts from coming loose, it'll be fine.

Those kind of things with those mount thing are scaring me away from wanting to get one of those...I feel much safer with a TRE and or the JKS unit and using my factory mount...But on my other thread on this subject and reading others...I'm narrowing down 2 lists of what and what not to buy...What ever I end up getting...I'll report back after first outing at BADLANDS...Take care...

John4wd...

Back