• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 HO 4.0L XJ versus 94 Grand Cherokee

Don Becker

NAXJA Forum User
Is there anything I ought to know as I contemplate dropping the 93 HO 4.0L XJ engine I have into a 94 Grand Cherokee that has a bad 4.0 L? 'Just in the "considering it" stage right now. Thanks! Don

I have had my 1993 since new and it is the 4.0L HO. A great powerplant. But. This was one of the years that they used the pistons with the shorter skirts. There is a little 'piston slap' sometimes. But no serious trouble. If I could choose ANY year I would try to find 1996 or newer. Have heard that they have better pistons with graphite rings along skirts. Think that in 1996 they improved the intake manifold also. But if you already have the engine or are getting it for a song..... the 1993 should be fine. Good Luck !! Bill-93XJ

Thanks, Bill. Yes, I already have the 93 HO 4.0L . . . it's in the 88XJ Limited that I'll be retiring. So, my concern . . . maybe I didn't state it clearly and maybe you've already answered it . . . . is whether there's anything about the '93 HO 4.0L that would prevent (or make it very difficult/costly) installing it into a 94 Grand Cherokee that currently had a bo*&s-up 4.0L in it . . . . Don

my 4.0 in my xj came from a zj. the blocks themselfs should be identical. i cant tell u about the injection cause i had to do the the ho to renix swap on mine.

kolby

The engine itself from a 93 XJ and a 94 ZJ is the same, and the injection and computer should match up okay. What's different is the 93 XJ, like all XJs, used the AW4 tranny. The ZJ used the AW4 in 1993 (the first year of the ZJ) but changed to a Chrysler tranny for 1994. So the interface between the trottle body and the tranny may be different. If you retain the existing ZJ sensors and wiring, it should be not problem. Just look carefully at the two throttle position sensors for possible differences.

Yes, I would be basically putting my 93 4.0L XJ "long block" into the 94 ZJ and retaining all accessories, sensors, etc from the 94 ZJ. Thanks to all for the information! Don :wave: :wave:

Back