• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

home made 8.8 e-brake?

diabloxj

NAXJA Forum User
ok has anyone made there own e-brake cable for the 8.8.. i can't see spending 118$ from M.O.R.E. there must be a way the you can make your own. if anyone has done it PLEASE let me in. i can use pics and a right up, i'm sick of not having a e-brake.

I did the wrap around method as found on this writeup

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html

Its pretty much a pain in the arse to get the cable wrapped around there and put the cable ujoint thing on there, but once its on it works great.

here's a quick pic from that site...
ford88_ebrake_cable16_720.jpg

the thing is i don't have any cable on mine at all. the guy i bought the jeep off of when he put the 8.8 in he must have got ride of the cable. all i have is the screw coming off the handel. so i'll have to stop at the junk yard and get one. i just want to know if i need a longer then stock cable becuase i have a 8 inch lift. would it be easlier to but an e-brake cable off of and explorer, and hook it up some how?

Last edited:
I've heard that the parking brake cables from a 95 or so ZJ fit perfectly..

I also had problems with bending and clamping the cable...ended up leaving it off for now..:gonnablow

I'll probably try one more time, then break down and get the ZJ cables

diabloxj said:
the thing is i don't have any cable on mine at all. the guy i bought the jeep off of when he put the 8.8 in he must have got ride of the cable. all i have is the screw coming off the handel. so i'll have to stop at the junk yard and get one. i just want to know if i need a longer then stock cable becuase i have a 8 inch lift. would it be easlier to but an e-brake cable off of and explorer, and hook it up some how?
The Ford Explorer cables are not long enough. I seem to remember buying two passenger side YJ e-brake cables for mine. I used the wrap around and clamp method. It was not too bad. The hardest thing for me was shortening the spring (ran the end of it into my thumb).

Les

diabloxj said:
do u have a pic of that?

No ... I don't have any pics of my set up but it does look like the one above.

Wait a minute ... You were not talkin' about my thumb were you? :laugh3:

Back