• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help will not start (electrical)

dandecicco

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced the started in my 4.0 (1987) and thought I was good to go. Well, went to start it last night and nothing. So, I hit the started with a hammer thinking it was a bad starter (I did this with the old one to get it going) and that didn't work. I then checked to see if the starter silinoid was dead. I jumped the "I" to the battery and sure enough it tried to kick over the starter. This then let me know that the starter is getting juice and the silinoid works. Could this be a problem with the ignition switch? (when I try to start the engine, all my gauges go crazy by the way). Thanks!

If it is an igniton switch, can I just run a toggle from the battery to the "I" on the siliniod to start it this way until I can get another switch? Or is this bad?

is the fuel pump working?

if not u might wanna check ur starter relay... mine went bad, if u are getting fuel then it might be ur ignition switch, check for the green wire goin to a weird lookin relay by ur battery, make sure it has a good connection...

also might wanna try to put it in Nuetral.. NSS could be goin out

There are two green wires going to the starter relay. The bottom one is the one you need to pull and short over to the plus on the battery.

XJRelays.jpg

Thanks Old Man

Yup. I did that to the starter relay (jumped it to the battery). If I disconnet the "I" and the "G" and run a jumper between them nothing happens. It only cranks the starter when I run a jumper from the Battery positive to the "I".

So I am beginning to think I have a bad ignition switch
Dan

Are you sure you don't have a dead cell in the battery? I've had a battery drop a cell, all accessories work but no start. Just throwing that out there to think about.

UrbanRedneck brought up a good issue. If the battery voltage is low, the ECU will not work correctly. The jumpering you did sounds like you ruled out the starter relay. If you have a meter, measure the battery voltage with the lights turned on. It should be around 12v. Anything lower than about 11v signals a possible battery problem.

In the early XJ's there was a pain in the ass connector that tendeds to fail alot. It failed so much the factory issued a TSB. It is C101. It is a fairly large connector that sits above the brake booster and is attached to a bracket. Try plugging and unplugging it a few times. The factory actually recommends cutting the connector completely out and straight wiring it.

Hey old man
If it turns out to be my ignition switch, can I just run a jumper to a push button toggle: wire from the battery (fused) / through the push button/ back to the starter relay "I" and trace down the problem later so that I can drive right now.
Dan

I drove my vehicle for several weeks when the NSS went out by simply popping the hood and shorting the green wire to the battery. As long as the main portion of the ignition swith allows the engine to run and then can turn it off, you should be fine.

I had/have a similar problem. My jeep wouldn't start when I turned the key, I could hear my fuel pump prime it, and my guages would come on, but nothing from the starter - had it and the solenoid replaced - no luck. I took apart my steering wheel to check everything in the ignition - no luck. I found out that my jeep IS equipped with a starter relay (contrary to autozone's computer) and I purchased a new one. still no luck. I made a switch (jumping the starter relay) that mounts on my dash to start the jeep (with the key in the on position). I used it for a couple days and then my jeep worked fine again with the key/ignition (works good for around 3 months now). A couple times since then my ignition didn't work and I had to 'resort' to using the switch. I never really figured out what was wrong with it; I just got used to it.

Make sure you turn off your relay jumper switch/button once your jeep is started.

jfiscus said:
I had/have a similar problem. My jeep wouldn't start when I turned the key, I could hear my fuel pump prime it, and my guages would come on, but nothing from the starter - had it and the solenoid replaced - no luck. I took apart my steering wheel to check everything in the ignition - no luck. I found out that my jeep IS equipped with a starter relay (contrary to autozone's computer) and I purchased a new one. still no luck. I made a switch (jumping the starter relay) that mounts on my dash to start the jeep (with the key in the on position). I used it for a couple days and then my jeep worked fine again with the key/ignition (works good for around 3 months now). A couple times since then my ignition didn't work and I had to 'resort' to using the switch. I never really figured out what was wrong with it; I just got used to it.

Make sure you turn off your relay jumper switch/button once your jeep is started.

that sounds like my problem. Do you/can you draw up a diagram for me?

Sounds like an ignition switch to me. Come on guys.. there is no reason to wire in a toggle switch to start your jeep. The ignition switch isn't that hard to replace. Actually it's pretty easy.

Back