• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

seat belt stuck in door?

BSH

NAXJA Forum User
Here's an odd problem: my wife took the Jeep on Saturday, for having 4x4 in the snow. When she got home, the seat belt strap was hanging in the door jamb as she shut the door. The door closed with the belt in the latch mechanism. Now we can't get the door open from inside or out, and can't work the strap out of the latch. Any tips on this little quandary?

That happened to me last week. the lock is in the half lock pos. close the door all the way and it will open, I had to kickthe door just under the handel real hard!

PAUL B said:
That happened to me last week. the lock is in the half lock pos. close the door all the way and it will open, I had to kickthe door just under the handle real hard!

Not exactly. There's enough daylight that I can see that the strap itself is wedged right into the latch. I still can't work it loose, and I fear I may have to take the darn thing into a body shop just to get this stupid problem fixed.

Try crawling in throiugh the passenger side. Have you wife hold the door latch button down so it's not latched, and from the inside you give the door a good, hard shoulder block.

Sit in the passenger seat with your back against the passenger door. With the toe of your right foot hold the door handle in the open position while you deliver a flat foot kick to the door with your left foot. Word to the wise: roll the window down so if your left foot slips it won't go through the window. I used this technique on a '72 Plymouth Satelite Sebring after a frat-rat T-boned me with his Formula 400 Trans Am. I didn't have to worry about rolling down the window as it had disintegrated on impact, but my foot did slip off on my fist kick. The second kick did the trick.

Seriously, let us know what works. That belt is always getting in the latch but all miy door has done, so far, is just bounce off.

Good Luck,
XJ Dreamin'

Eagle said:
Try crawling in throiugh the passenger side. Have you wife hold the door latch button down so it's not latched, and from the inside you give the door a good, hard shoulder block.
Did that.

XJ Dreamin' said:
Sit in the passenger seat with your back against the passenger door. With the toe of your right foot hold the door handle in the open position while you deliver a flat foot kick to the door with your left foot.
Did that too, but for the part about looping my toe into the handle. I'm just not willing to try that while it's below freezing outside, as the maneuver is tough with shoes on.

This is the dumbest car trouble I've ever had.

I took My Heep to a bodyshop. The belt like yours was wedged in the latch. the dude at the shop said that the latch was in the half-lock pos. that the only way was to close the door all the way set the lock in the full-lock pos. then it would trip with the door handel. so I kicked the stit out of it, after it was closed all the way I it opened with the handel as easy as you please. Kick it in line with the latch. This will work.

This happened to me twice on my original '88 XJ Limited, long ago . . . 'tried most of the suggestions above plus a few. Both times, I wound-up having to stick a knife in there and cut the belt very close to the latch pin and then just pull and pull and pull on the belt end until it finally came out . . . at that time $103 for a new belt . . . . . . . now, all three of my XJ's have these ('got 'em from U-Pull-It . . . off (I think) 91's and above . . . ):

1309beltclip-med.jpg

Thanks, Petey! I was trying (w/out success) to recover my photo and place an arrow on it . . . Don

Back