• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Catalitic converter wires....

Jump This

Just another minion!
Catalytic converter wires....

I hadto bi-pass the converter....the block had come loose and was starting to break up. My question is can I just cut the wire leads off at the old converter? I tried to unbolt the bass-turd but no such luck....yet.
Do the wires effect any computer function that would cause trouble?
Rick R

Last edited:
Okay....I got the sender unbolted from the converter.
Now the question is....can I just zip-tie it out of the way?
Once again...the question is mostly about what will it effect..
Rick R

A catalytic converter does not have any wires or senders. However, if you have a 1996 or newer vehicle that ODB-2 compliant, there is a downstream oxygen sensor that monitors the condition of the cat. Pulling that sensor should not affect the operation of the vehicle, as it doesn't provide any performance feedback to the PCM, but it will trigger a check engine light.

I knew that I could count on you Eagle!
But the sender/sensor IS on the converter.
I'm sure you can guess that it is also a 96' California emm.
equipped vehicle.
Interesting thing though...the sender is located upsteam from the
honeycomb....not downstream...
Thanks again Eagle!
Rick R

Do you have two O2 sensors ? one on the cat and one on the exhaust manifold. Could be that calif models might. Why not just replace the cat with a new one ?

i have a 98 and i took off my cat and it ran ok but the check en light was on and when it got warm it missed and studared a lot. then i drilled hole in my flowmaster and screwed the senser in and it runs a lot better.

He won't get away with that in calif, they look for converters and such there and a 'close but no cigar' wont work with the visual...might get points for trying that though :laugh3:
whaddaya mean, no cat, thats the new cat/muffler combo that just came out... :laugh3:

my 96 has the same set-up. if it runs without it for awhile the performance starts to go south. mine was to the point that to start it i had to floor the gas pedal just to get it to fire. sounds wierd but thats what happend. when i replaced the o2 sensor the jeep ran fine after it recalibrated itself. my original sensor got bent bad enough to break the "guts" inside.

This all sounds interesting...
I will replace the CAT soon.....if the engine performance suffers...
But the sensor causing problems....hmmm...sounds strange....
When you live in the middle of nowhere you find ways to
fix the problem at hand then repair (or is that repair then fix?)
I had some 2 1/2" pipe in the garage...but I didn't have a spare
CAT.
Thanks for the input
Rick R

I took the guts out of mine because it was rattling months ago. Apart from the check engine light which is on I see no ill effects. The cat minus the internals is still on and the sensor is screwed in. Of course here in South Fl there is no smog inspection.

Back