• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

160 Temperature Question

AngryDog

NAXJA Forum User
I am reposting part of a previous question I had ask because it is now down far enough I think I will not get a responce. My 1989 Jeep Cherokee temp is running around 155 to 165 both before and after a 195 degree thermostat swap. I burped the system well and it still runs at the 155/165. I replaced the sender with a pick and pull of the same year and model. From the previous posts I think I need to get it up higher because it may cause the ECU to continue in a warm-up mode messing other things up. Could I have a sticky gauge? Maybe the sender is faulty? How can I test the sender and or the gauge? If it is staying at 155/165 the themostat will not open, right? Is there a way to see if it is opening and circulating. If it is I would think this would tell me if the guage or sender it bad. I also was reading that the fan has a fluid clutch and bi-metel temp wire in it. Could this be faulty causing the fan to over cool the engine. Would it be a good idea to install a 210+ thermostat. I don't want to get it to high especially if something is faulty giving me bad readings. Any help would be kindly apprecated.

The fan cannot over-cool the engine if the thermostst is functioning, because the thermostat closes and keeps the temperature up. That's what it's there for.

More to the point, how are you determining that you are running at 155 to 165? The temp gauge is not calibrated linearly, and there is no mark to tell you where 165 is.

As to the sticky gauge, probably not. But you probably have an inaccurate gauge. The instrument cluster ground connection is not the best, and on a 15 or 16 year old vehicle corrosion has probably increased resistance in the circuit, possibly affecting the readings.

I'd guess about 37 cents per vehicle was invested in those instrument clusters in the old XJ's. Highly inaccurate. If you have a new tstat and have serviced the system, there is no way it will run under 195, the stat won't allow it. I wouldn't worry unless it starts to get too hot. Especially if you heat is working well.

Back