• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying an XJ and stroking it

chief xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys

I am going to be buying a Cherokee soon, and I want to stroke the motor right away. I was wondering what was the best year and the easiest year to stroke is? I am looking at either a 95,96, or 97+ year with a 5-speed. I would think that OBDII would tend to complicate things a little more. There is emissions testing in my area as well. OBDI is a visual inspection. OBDII is done through the computer. This xj is going to be my daily driver and I don’t plan to lift it or put huge tires on it. It won’t go off-road much, but will see off-road use occasionally. I was looking at stroker long-blocks on eBay such as this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ry=33615&item=7947957632&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW Does anybody have any experience with these guys? I am also thinking of other things I will need such as a Header, Clutch, Radiator, Water pump, thermostat, valve cover, oil pan, timing cover, etc. I am semi-mechanical inclined, but my buddy does it for a living, so he can help me put it in. If anybody has any other advice, it’s much appreciated. Thanks a bunch…

Brandon

2500!!!

wow, I'm doing my 4.6 stroker right now and it will be less than 2K. I would buy whatever year you want, the only thing you might need from an older 4.0L is the cam bolts to keep an after market cam in a 98 or up engine. Also, why not just take the engine out of your jeep and build the stroker out of that? it would be cheaper.

good luck
-Spaze

chief xj said:
Hey Guys

I am going to be buying a Cherokee soon, and I want to stroke the motor right away. I was wondering what was the best year and the easiest year to stroke is? I am looking at either a 95,96, or 97+ year with a 5-speed. I would think that OBDII would tend to complicate things a little more. There is emissions testing in my area as well. OBDI is a visual inspection. OBDII is done through the computer. This xj is going to be my daily driver and I don’t plan to lift it or put huge tires on it. It won’t go off-road much, but will see off-road use occasionally. I was looking at stroker long-blocks on eBay such as this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ry=33615&item=7947957632&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW Does anybody have any experience with these guys? I am also thinking of other things I will need such as a Header, Clutch, Radiator, Water pump, thermostat, valve cover, oil pan, timing cover, etc. I am semi-mechanical inclined, but my buddy does it for a living, so he can help me put it in. If anybody has any other advice, it’s much appreciated. Thanks a bunch…

Brandon

The '91-'95 OBD I HO 4.0 XJ's would be the easiest and best to use for a stroker build-up. As Spaze said, you might as well build up the engine that'll come in the Jeep and save a lot of $$$$.

263hp@4900/321lbft@3300-3800, 1/4 mile = [email protected], 0-60 = 5.8secs
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

im almost finished with my stroker and im at right around 2300 bux.
I went the donor block route and that added some to my overall cost.
Machine work was the most expensive part of the whole build and i dont think there is a way around that if you wanna do it right the first time.
Dino has an awsome web site and the map adjuster links there will com in handy if you do decide to go through with it.
Lunghd has a site with prices and part numbers as well.
Try the strokers group if u get caught up on some of the tech questions.(quench,C.R.Deck height and push rod length/shims)

Thanks for all the replies.

I have been looking at Dino's site for most of my information. Very informative and well put together. Honestly though, I would rather buy a long block and just put it in. There is a 1997 Cherokee near me that’s for sale. I am thinking about buying it. However, I want to make sure before I buy it that I can put a stroker in it and still have it pass emissions. Can you simply put a stroker in and hook the computer sensors back up and have it run ok? I know you need stronger injectors to keep the computer happy, but is there anything else you need? Sorry for all the questions but I just want to check before I go ahead and buy the jeep. Thanks

Brandon

I don't know of anybody selling stroker long blocks.

I think some company named "jakes racing engines" sells stroker longblocks too...ill try and find the link.

These guys supply stroker long blocks and the pricing is as follows:

Golen Engine Service: 4.6 stroker $3300
Custom Design Performance: 4.6 stroker $3300
Accurate Power: 4.6 stroker $4800
Jakes Racing Engines: website down ?out of business (pricing similar to Accurate Power)

You can build your own for less than $2000 so that's the route that I'd advise.

Back