• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball joint removal/install

Fletch85

NAXJA Forum User
I need to remove my ball joints from my old knuckles to my new knuckles, I have been told that they have to be pressed out and pressed in. Is this true, or can I remove/install them with a hammer.

You really need a press. This is one of those places where there really is no substitute for the right tool.

Check with your local auto parts stores, some of them have loaner tools programs. Get the biggest, baddest press with the Dana axle adapters. Shouldn't cost you anything, expect to leave a deposit.

EDIT: Wait a sec...... the ball joints are in the axle side, not the knuckle! You need a pickle fork to separate the knuckle from the inner C.

Actually, he's right. Sounds like you're working on completely stock components, ergo OEM forum.

Why are you swapping knuckles?

Ball joints are part of the inner c's not of the knuckles - swapping stock axles -> oem tech

Fletch85 said:
It is not a stock axle, dana 44, Im putting Chevy flat tops on it.
Then you *REALLY* need to tell us this beforehand.

All bets are off.

I just replaced alll of the ball joints on my D30 recently so I've had to removed my nuckles and I'd say you need a pickle fork. YOu can get away with a couple big hammers and pound away at the knuckle until the taper releases but its much much easier with the right tools. Autozone will charge you $20 for a deposit for a pickle fork which you will get all back when you return the loaner tool. You may consider replaceing the ball joints also while you've got everything apart unless you know for sure they are fairly new.
You can check out the MAD XJ tech section to get an idea how to do remove the knuckles in their ball joint article.

Back