• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrades along with new 19 lb/hr injectors

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I have a 220k 88 XJ 4.0l (my daily driver) with a pair of bum/leaky injectors... so before I create a mobile pyre, I'm gonna bite the bullet and upgrade to new Bosch 19 lb/hr units. The engine is stock, save for a Rusty's airtube/K&N... Routinely gets 20 MPG & has good oil pressure.

While I have that apart, is there anything else I 'should' do? (clean the fuel rail? if so how?) The fuel filter is recent, but I may just replace it too...

My exhaust headpipe is squashed pretty good, so I plan to replace that, and I will probably bite another bullet or three and replace the cat and muffler with some upgraded bits (hi-flow cat, Flowmaster 50 & tailpipe) Since that's being done... might as well put a fresh 02 on there, since I can't recall if I swapped it out on this Jeep.

Would a high-altitude Crank Sensor help any, or should I skip that (I operate mainly at +500 ft ASL, but sometimes at +3-4000 ft... The stock CPS is fresh @ -+ 1 yr old, but it can go in the spares bag if a Hi-Alt will help.

I'm pretty sure I did the plugs/cap/rotor/wires last fall.

If (at 220k it's more like when) I do any 'major' engine work, I would see to some 'gasket matching' of the manifold/head, probably have the TB honed out, and put a header on there... but for now, I don't want or need to pull either off (no leaks or cracks and 4.0 manifolds are less than fun to work on)

Any ideas or thoughts from the RENIX guru's?

woody said:
I have a 220k 88 XJ 4.0l (my daily driver) with a pair of bum/leaky injectors... so before I create a mobile pyre, I'm gonna bite the bullet and upgrade to new Bosch 19 lb/hr units. The engine is stock, save for a Rusty's airtube/K&N... Routinely gets 20 MPG & has good oil pressure.

While I have that apart, is there anything else I 'should' do? (clean the fuel rail? if so how?) The fuel filter is recent, but I may just replace it too...

My exhaust headpipe is squashed pretty good, so I plan to replace that, and I will probably bite another bullet or three and replace the cat and muffler with some upgraded bits (hi-flow cat, Flowmaster 50 & tailpipe) Since that's being done... might as well put a fresh 02 on there, since I can't recall if I swapped it out on this Jeep.

Would a high-altitude Crank Sensor help any, or should I skip that (I operate mainly at +500 ft ASL, but sometimes at +3-4000 ft... The stock CPS is fresh @ -+ 1 yr old, but it can go in the spares bag if a Hi-Alt will help.

I'm pretty sure I did the plugs/cap/rotor/wires last fall.

If (at 220k it's more like when) I do any 'major' engine work, I would see to some 'gasket matching' of the manifold/head, probably have the TB honed out, and put a header on there... but for now, I don't want or need to pull either off (no leaks or cracks and 4.0 manifolds are less than fun to work on)

Any ideas or thoughts from the RENIX guru's?

Woody, I'd just put the new injectors on it and be done with it. You are right, it can start a fire with the leaky ones, and the Ford injectors are cheaper to buy than the Jeep injectors. My thoughts are to replace stuff when it wears out. If the fuel filter and CPS are fairly fresh, leave 'em alone. If you don't currently have a spare CPS that you carry, it won't hurt to put in the hi-alt CPS and carry the current one as a spare.

Thanks for the thoughts Gman!

Yup the fuel filter & CPS are fresh (and I do have some spare sensors in the kit) Not doing those just now would suit me fine. I really didn't want (or plan) to replace the injectors, but I gotta do it, so might as well use better parts.

I "have to" replace the headpipe sooner or later... it's bad off mashed. The cat/muffler have some minor trail rash, and are of questionable vintage... So might as well upgrade a little for not much more than OEM spec parts.

This isn't really being after "more power," rather just hopefully getting back some I have forgotten about :) OTOH it kicks my locker/regear fund in the nads :(

I finally eliminated my cat after going through plenty of them, three in one year.........had to have it smogged that year. I keep beating them up on the rocks and it breaks up the catalyst inside. Next time I need to smog it (every two years here in CA) I'm going to have the current section of pipe and the cat flanged so I can remove the cat after the smog is done, then just put it back in every two years for the smog.

I'm down to 60 bucks cash for a cat, since I was coming in so often. The muffler shop I deal with for work knows the underside of my Jeep real well. :D

Back