• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New lift install

pm1

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys and Gals
I am getting ready to do some work on a recently accuired 94 sport with 63k miles. We just got a 4.5 inch Rubicon Express super flex lift with a limited slip yoke kit and new drive shaft. Also am getting 15x8 8 hole Cragers with 32x11.5 Kumho MT. SO what kind of tips (links) do you have? I want to do one thing at a time. I plan on doing the lift and allignment first and then doing the limited slip yoke and sway bar quick disconnect in the following week or weeks. Is this not advisable or does it matter? I do not plan on wheeling in that time frame. Armor and bumpers to follow as well. I do plan of posting before and after pics.
Thanks for any info.

The sway bar discos...possible...but the stock driveshaft and no sye...Im thinkin thats not gonna fly too well. I have the same lift and I had terrible vibs with the stock shaft and no sye. You could put on the transfer case drop and see what happens but I guess everyone gets different results so thats just my experience.

Well, mabey I'll put the slip yoke emiminator in at the same time just to get it over with. It the hack and tap kind. Don't really want to drop the transfer case if I have all that other stuff.

pabloconrad said:
I'd put the discoes on at the same time as the lift. Install the new tires and rims and then get an alignment. Your alignment with the old rims and tires will change when you put the new ones on.
:lecture: I disagree. When you align the front end on the XJs, or any vehicle for that matter, you are aligning the wheel mounting surface. So you can get it aligned with any wheel/tire combo on there and put a different set on, and the alignment will still be good.

why hack and tap? for around 10$ more you could get the JB hd sye. curious about your thought process on that.

i have about 5 inches and didn't feel safe driving without a tcase drop. without the drop the slip yoke looks like its barely in. got real bad vibes.

i gots me a 94 also.

Last edited:
I would do the SYE kit first. If you are going to runinto any serious problems this is where it will be. Then I would put the lift on as ussual. The sway bar disconnects dont take that long to install, and will greatly improve your handling.

As for the alignment I agree with Timmay, that you are aligning the tire mounting surfaces and straightening the steering wheel. Be advised a lot of places will not do an alignment on your jeep after it has been lifted, or at least that is what I found in my area.

Patrick

on the topic of SYE and driveshafts... with a 94 and a 3" lift would i be safe with JUST a 1" tcase drop or would i need the SYE and/or driveshaft?

Back