• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep problems at 40mph

PoSxJ

NAXJA Forum User
Went up to browns camp today, all the way out there it was runnin great. Hit some trails and went back to the high way and when my jeep hit 40 and the front end started shaking really bad. My buddy that was driving in front of me said that both of my front tires were just woblin really bad. He said it looked like my tires were going to fly off. So I had to limp it all the way home at about 40mph. You guys ever have this happen?? Have any ideas??
Thanks James

Did you air back up at Gales Creek..? Or before you got on hwy 6.
If you didn't air down at all and you already checked your wheels for extra weight (Mud) on them or if you lost a wheel weight this could give the problem you are describeing. Also check your track bar for tightness too.
Any play in the steering system can wreak havoc on the hwy or worse. Let us know what you find.

Make sure the jeep is clean (no mud, etc)
Start by checking tire pressure in all four tires.
Then check lost wheel weights.
Check all front steering and suspension joints and nuts/bolts.

Drive again, if you still have the same issue try rotating tires front to back.

Next step alignments (checking caster as well).

HTH,
Michael

Yea I agree head to the local pressure wash and give the underside a good washing and then you will really be able to see what is going on, and maybe cure it if you just have mud built up in the wheel

i think they call that the death wobbles. my buddys 2 door did that too after wheelin' and it wasent pretty. he had worn out steering and wheelin it just made it worse. we ended up replacing the draglink? and the pitment arm then it road pretty good. check for play like they said. but it might also just be mud in the tires. hope this helps

Thanks for the tips I think I fixed it... got it up to 60mph today it was good. The bracket that ties the trac bar into the frame was really loose. Tighten those two bolts up and it seems fine. Still needs a wash.
thanks James

Back