• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skyjacker Lifts

mullet427

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have any experience with Skyjacker? I'm shopping for a lift and am looking at 6 inches and up. Does anyone know anything about their Rock Ready stuff? Any input is great.

fairly decent... but, not a fan of using heims as suspension joints and the TB relocation idea just isnt a good one. the stock steering stabilizer mount is not nearly strong enough to handle the TB mount at least not for some hardcore offroading.

brandon

I've had the 3" Skyjacker for almost 4 years now without any problems. It settled to 3.5" and has stayed there ever since. Everyone I know that runs the Skyjacker Rock Ready stuff loves it, but those that don't run it typically bag on it. Their springs in my experience are excellent and the sub-frame gives the arms good geometry and allows good flex. I have heard bad things about the axle cradle when you get the RR 8", but that doesn't apply to the 6".

I'm a fan of their coil springs, flex very good, haven't sagged, and handle good on the road, I've tried others that worked ok on the trail but on the road were way to "mushy" , almost dangerous.

check out my web site. i have the rock ready 8" lift. great for wheeling!!! not to good on-road. with the heim joins you feel everything on the road. but in the wood can't beat them flex like no tomorrow they don't bind up like rubber bushings. price is high but like everyone says you get what you pay for.

I have the 8" as well, and I find the four wheeling aspect to be solid. good flex and such. I will agree that the on road performance leaves a little to be desired inpart b/c of the heim joints, but I think its fair to say that anyone who modifies their truck with an OFF road suspension will be sacraficing ON road capabilities. Ive also had the lift for over a year now and havent experience much sagging. . a little in the leaf springs. but I feel its worth the price; thats just me though

diabloxj said:
with the heim joins ...
... they don't bind up like rubber bushings.

any first year ME would choke on his soup reading that statement.

Heims rotate about their axis' freely; rubber does to, but offers prgressively more resistance. A rubber bush will allow for changes in control arm length. This is necessary to accomodate rotation of the axle during articulation. A heim joint doesn't allow for any change in length. The result is the cracks in Skyjackers axle cradle. On shorter lifts without the cradle, the factory mounts at the axle and frame will experience more stress.

On the street, rubber suspensin joints are particulary important with a uni-body to isolate road noise and vibration. Body-on-frame designs can more easily get away with heim joints because they have rubber body mounts to isolate NVH.

Back