• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinding noise after lift...

AndrewXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I put a Rusty's 3" Full packs lift on my Jeep yesterday with .75" spacers in the front, a heavy duty adjustable tracbar and mount and a transfer case drop. When I hit a dip in the Jeep, or a hole in that matter, I hear a loud grinding noise until the Jeep get's level again. It sounds like it is coming mostly from the front but at times it sounds like it could be anywhere. Anyone know what it could be? TIA. Andrew.

A couple of grinding noises I´ve found on my XJ, are dry U-joints and worn front transfer shaft bearings. Wheel bearings always kind of made a roar, when they went.
Might want to have a look at the driveshafts, for scuff marks.
And the rubber seals on the U-joint caps for rust dust, usually a give away of a dry bearing cap.

when i put my first lift in the u-joints just went bad immediatley afterwards so i would check those, mine were on the rear driveshaft and i thought it was coming from the front too...just my 2cents

You've changed the angle on your u-joints so they are complaining about having to stretch to that extra amount of angle. Not uncommon after a lift. Grease or change them out and it should go away.

So you intalled the 3" leaf packs and only a small spacer up front? Sits higher in the rear? When I was lifting my xj I finished the rear about a week before I was able to finish lifting the front (about 5" for me) I drove it around like that for a while and it would grind pretty bad when i hit a dip or slammed on the brakes hard. The front end would nosedive and cause the rear driveshaft to pull out of the tcase yolk enough so that it would grind. Leveled it out and the problem went away! No more nosedives. This could be your problem.

Back