• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Super 44 axle kit

explorer

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know if the carrier brg. on the 33 spline Detroit is the same as OEM? It appears so but I don't have one to compare right now and I want to hone them to use as setup brgs. Also with the screw in axle studs, any problems w/ the studs loosening? They don't seem to screw in all the way by hand, but I'm guessing w/ a wrench and some threalock they'll be OK. First hand experience would be appreciated. Thanks

Brian

The carrier bearing is different than a standard 44, as it is larger ID, compensate for the larger shafts.

Pinion bearing is the same, gears are the same, carrier bearings/outer wheel bearings and seals are all different

If you get the Super 44 kit, and Dana/Spicer gears, you'll have everything you'll need to install it in your 44. I just had mine done. Didn't have to but an install kit.

I haven't put my studs in yet.

Hope this helps.

Dan.

I had the wheel studs loosen up on a set of D44 axles from Dutchman. Use red Loctite and make sure they're tight, and they won't come loose. I just put the axles in without checking them, which evidently was a mistake. When a couple worked loose I re-did them all and never had another problem.

I already have the kit. I was just wondering if the carrier brg. was the same as the stock brg.. I want to hone out the set that came with it to use as setup brgs. but I guess I want to wait till I have another proper set of brgs. before I do that.
I was going to just put another lockright and stock size shafts in because I figured that it would be a significant upgrade from the Dana 35 as is. But after looking at these 33 spline shafts, I'm glad I did it. 36" tires shouldn't give me any worries now. I'm just hoping the Detroit is as smooth or better than the Lockright. From what I've read, the new Softlocker version is better than a Lockright for street manners.

That was my plan w/ the shafts, and I was also thinking of safety wiring them. If you haven't had any problems since threadlocking them, maybe I'll just stick with that. Thanks for the input.

Goatman said:
I had the wheel studs loosen up on a set of D44 axles from Dutchman. Use red Loctite and make sure they're tight, and they won't come loose. I just put the axles in without checking them, which evidently was a mistake. When a couple worked loose I re-did them all and never had another problem.

Back