• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jammed Ignition switch

w_howey

NAXJA Forum User
The ignition key on my 88 will not turn forward or backwards. It is not the steering wheel lock, I can turn the wheel back and forth enough to feel it is not the lock. This is a non-tilt column.

I started the Jeep in the morning, my wife drove it to work, started it at lunch drove home, and it would only move into the acces. position. I messed with it some, and now it won't even do this.

I realize that it needs replaced, but here is the deliema. The FSM shows the switch as being in the on position for replacement. I can't get there.

I though about using a slide hammer to pull out the lock cylinder, anyone know if that works on these GM columns. Or any other ideas?

I just replaced mine in my 87 (super cheap and in stock at Autozone) and I didn't have to mess with the lock cylinder at all.
Once you remove the old switch, the rods will move freely allowing you to position the lock cylinder where it needs to be to install the new switch.

NO you cant just pull out the lock cylinder there is a keeper screw in there so you cant. Try the tilt of the steering column mine used to get locked up at certian positions. but if your wanting to remove the lock cylinder and replace it you need a couple special tools that can be rented at most automotive stores. Also there are star drive screws in there so make sure you have a set. pretty easy job I can do mine completely in about 15min total from start to finish. but I have done it about 20times on different vehicles. Also the rod that goes from the cylinder to the ignition switch might just be getting jammed so it might just be the ignition switch. but between the two the total cost for parts IIRC is less than $20 and that is for the cylinder and the switch.

Back