• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coolant reservoir

PETEY

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody had any success repairing one. The bottom nipple where the hose attaches spins allowing coolant to leak. Apparently this nipple is not molded into the reservoir like the top one is.
I have tried 2 part epoxy and JB weld. Both did not work. No auto part store in town can order one as they tell me it is a dealer only item. There are no XJ's in any of the wrecking yards in town and the nearest dealer is a couple of hours away.
I now have come across something that I cannot repair with a little duct tape and JB weld. That's a first!

90 xj stock cooling system

Because this is a pressurized part of the closed cooling system (not just a recovery tank) it's likely to be impossible to fix properly. I think you will need to spring for a new one. I seem to recall that when my 87's tank split at the bottom a new one cost about 50 bucks. Robbery, perhaps, but a sure cure.

Thanks digger, that's the ticket and $19.95 at that,
Mr. Currie, I was figuring on getting a new one just trying to get by until i could as i need to drive this thing to work.
thanks

Do yourself a favor and buy the stainless version from summit.
I too have fought with that stupid thing a few times in the past few years.
Next week i am going to be doing the conversion BEFORE the california summer.(along with my stroker!!!!)

Darned things are expensive over here, I have repaired a few. Epoxy doesn´t hold for long, super glue also doesn´t hold long. Had reasonably good results with "GOOP" (lasted about a year), specifically plumbers "GOOP". Seems to be a hard setting silicon, that comes in handy for plastic repairs and many other things. haven´t seen it on the shelves around here for awhile, it may be discontinued.
When it was available, it was a part of my tool box, along with epoxy glue, super glue and silicon gasket sealer.
We have specialty shop, nearby, I´ve been meanaing to ask about which adhesive would be good for the canister, beleive it´s nylon, rayon or one of the "ons". There is probably a special adhesive available for that material. Super glue doesn´t get the job done. Beleive it would have to be a weld (melt the pastic some) type adhesive, that has some flexibilty, to do it right.

8Mud said:
Darned things are expensive over here, I have repaired a few. Epoxy doesn´t hold for long, super glue also doesn´t hold long. Had reasonably good results with "GOOP" (lasted about a year), specifically plumbers "GOOP". Seems to be a hard setting silicon, that comes in handy for plastic repairs and many other things. haven´t seen it on the shelves around here for awhile, it may be discontinued.
When it was available, it was a part of my tool box, along with epoxy glue, super glue and silicon gasket sealer.
We have specialty shop, nearby, I´ve been meanaing to ask about which adhesive would be good for the canister, beleive it´s nylon, rayon or one of the "ons". There is probably a special adhesive available for that material. Super glue doesn´t get the job done. Beleive it would have to be a weld (melt the pastic some) type adhesive, that has some flexibilty, to do it right.

For the vacuum canister, Goop, or its near relative, "Shoe Goo" works pretty well. It sticks to nearly anything. You can either just slather it on, or use it as a base for a patch of thin plastic.

Back