• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tilt Steering column

outlawjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Ok her is the question.... Will the tilt column out of a 97 auto fit and work in a 97 man??? The parts place I went to gave me the wrong part and I did not relize until I got home... Problem is they are 2 hours away and I specifically told them I need the one for the man trans like three times. TIA

The column for the auto won't have the steering wheel lock/key release switch on the side, because on the automatics that function is linked to the shifter and activated when you place the lever in the PARK position. You'll be able to drive the vehicle, but you won't be able to lock the steering wheel.

I did this swap with a junk yard column in my old 91 XJ. It took some doing but worked out okay.

The biggest issue I had is a cable on the column that connects to the brake pedal. In the auto the brake must be depressed before you can shift from park. After finally seeing why it wouldn't work, I just nylon tied the cable into position. Everything else bolted up. I did change the ignition and turn signal lever out since my originals were better.

IMHO I think it'll work. Good luck. :) Let us know!

Back