• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone chop their rear for better clearance? (MJ)

MJ1990buildup

NAXJA Forum User
This is on my MJ

i recently encounted a pole with the the back passenger side of my truck and busted out the tail light and fawked the bumper up

I was thinking of cutting the rear level from the tailight to the wheel well, has anyone done this before and how does it look??

something along like this

BTW, this was back when it was nice, :D , before i sorta turned it into a beater

bigger.jpg

jrsxj98 said:
just bob it right behind the shackles. that will help a bunch

could you please elaborate?

also, the sheetmetal under the tail light is dented up pretty bad, i was thinking cutting some lines up and banging the metal flat underneather the light and welding it up

Last edited:
70893605.jpg

I trimed to the underside of my bumper (which is quite a bit higher than stock).
Jeep on!
--Pete

Pete M said:
70893605.jpg

I trimed to the underside of my bumper (which is quite a bit higher than stock).
Jeep on!
--Pete

did you do anything to reinforce the bed where you cut it, weld some sheetmetal to it?

i like the way you kept the factory lines though, real nice job

i did want to maintain my tailgate though, Plus it says Jeep on it:)

I ran out and snapped these pics of the shielding I added. They are made from hammer-n-vice bent galvanized steel I rescued from the scrap pile. They attach along the side and inside the wheel well with sheetmetal screws. They don't provide any structural support, they just keep the mud from going up into my bed sides.
Keeping the tailgate isn't hard. Just make sure the bumper isn't as high up as mine. I had no intention of keeping the tailgate (dang thing didn't work right anyway) but I found out after the whole project was done that my bumper was 2" too high according to the law in Michigan. So I added the3" angle iron below to keep it street legal.
Jeep on!
--Pete

81998432.jpg

81998444.jpg

81998444.jpg
[/QUOTE]

that was my exact thought, to keep the mud out, looks like i'll be getting out the angle grinder out,

thanks again pete, always a pleasure to read your posts!

and i'm going to look around on the database for a few more idears,
not ready to take the whole bed off yet,,,, still gotta drive this thing on the street:)

BrettM said:
mud sucks :laugh3:

I still drive mine all the time on the streets with the tube bed, just throw on some flaps and it's good to go. (your state laws may vary)

i'm not sure what the state laws are, i just seemed to get pulled over for the fun of it, i'm sure i'll have to rig up some sort of mud flap after i trim and do spring over

for now i'm just going to cut the stock bumper on the outsides of the brackets and do something similar to what pete did, i'm sure it wont turn out as nice, and i'll just beat the metal over and squirt gun it in place

get it ready for some SNOW!

Pete M said:
I ran out and snapped these pics of the shielding I added. They are made from hammer-n-vice bent galvanized steel I rescued from the scrap pile. They attach along the side and inside the wheel well with sheetmetal screws. They don't provide any structural support, they just keep the mud from going up into my bed sides.
Keeping the tailgate isn't hard. Just make sure the bumper isn't as high up as mine. I had no intention of keeping the tailgate (dang thing didn't work right anyway) but I found out after the whole project was done that my bumper was 2" too high according to the law in Michigan. So I added the3" angle iron below to keep it street legal.
Jeep on!
--Pete

81998444.jpg

I dont know if this will come out right cuz this is the 1st time i tried to quote something but you might not even have to cut it depending on how much you cut off. Its possible to get away with just bending it over and screwing it in place. It would make a shield and you wouldnt have to worry about attatching it to the outside of the body if ou get what i mean.

jeeppowermj said:
I dont know if this will come out right cuz this is the 1st time i tried to quote something but you might not even have to cut it depending on how much you cut off. Its possible to get away with just bending it over and screwing it in place. It would make a shield and you wouldnt have to worry about attatching it to the outside of the body if ou get what i mean.

what the hell are you talking about

My Mj has plenty of trail damge to the front and rear of the tires, Most of the dents just pop right back out. The ones that didn't add character to my truck. But eventually I am going to do a tube bed/flat bed on it, just have to many other projects going.

Patrick

Back