• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gearing opinions

xjrugger

NAXJA Forum User
im getting a dana 60 rear for 200 bucks but the project wont be done for a while but i will eventually will do a d6o rear and front(both locked)to run 39's with my current 10 inches of lift. i was originally thinking 5.86 gears, but i still do have to drive this "thing" on the highway to go wheeling. Should i do 5.38 instead, but i dont want to be underpowered either and have to fall in and out of overdrive. I have a I6 with just header, exaust and will soon have bored throttle body. Its auto with np 242. Its a 4 door, full roof and doors and hatch, with a cage in the works and my other on board weight is the spare, 40 pounds of tools, ait tank, hi-lift and 20 lbs of other misc. stuff. Should i do the 5.86 or will it rev too high. also what about will my top speed be.

Go 5:86 w. the auto, you have overdrive so you should be very good. The 5:38 is better for 37's.

Your not going to be doing 90 mph w. this "thing" anyhow. :) Edit: Didn't see your last question, how fast do you want to go? Still think the 5:86 is the way to go.

Last edited:
gear it up as high as you can go...
on the other hand i have seen 38.5's and 5.43/5.38 gears in a YJ and he was pretty happy...

im feeling 5.86, but im trying to gather opinions. i once did 4.10's for 33's and it wasnt enough, so i then went 4.88. now im on 36's and 4.88 is just enough, but was nicer on 35's and fast on 33's. I dont want to regret what gears i do b/c when i do this project i am making sure everything is plotted and planned well so that it can be executed properly. This will be a big transition from every day driver to borderline trailer queen, which is why i have been putting it off.

Back