• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear suspension makes TONs of noise - Help!

gordynor

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2 year old Rusty's add-a-leaf 3" lift on my '01 XJ. Recently the rear has been making a TON of noise when I go over larger speed bumps, pot holes, roots, etc. So I figured it was my shocks, so I replaced the bushings and got the JKS Bar-Pin Eliminators. Didn't work. Then I replaced the shocks with Edelbrock Xtreme Travel IAS shocks... they are much nicer and work mu8ch better, but they still didn't fix the noise.

So, I'm left with a noise that sounds like something loses contact with the vehicle when the rear suspension is unloaded and then a nice loud bag when it re-engages.

So far I've ruled out the bar-pins, bushings, and shocks. I've been thinking that it might be the spring pack itself or the spring pack bushings. A friend recently suggested that it might be the driveshaft and that I should consider a SYE. At the moment I'm stumped and could really use some help. If you need pictures or more info I can do that.

Thanks!

Have you checked to see if the spring shackle is making contact with the rear bumper bolts.

No, I'll have to check that after work. Excellent suggestion - I didn't think of that. I don't have long shackles and I have a stock bumper if that makes a difference.

Mine made contact on both the stock and lift shackles after my first lift. I just had to trim the one bolt and it took care of it.

Check to see if you have a broken spring pack. Those AAls will sometimes break.

Also, and this one's sometimes overlooked, check the front spring mount points. See if you have a loose or broken bolt.

Hope it works out. If nothing else, by and RE 3.5" lift spring pack.

pabloconrad said:
Check to see if you have a broken spring pack. Those AAls will sometimes break.

Also, and this one's sometimes overlooked, check the front spring mount points. See if you have a loose or broken bolt.

Hope it works out. If nothing else, by and RE 3.5" lift spring pack.

I've thought about buying a new springk pack from RE, but wan tto make sure the SP is my problem.

How would I know if it's broken (other than obvious difiguremnet)?

Back