• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Forgotten Dana 30 Mystery Bearing

MaineJeepah

NAXJA Forum User
I need help and I am hoping some of the gurus (like Eagle) can help me out...

The question is about a DANA 30. I am not a newbie, perse... I have no reason to upgrade to a 44 on this project, as this one will probably never see a trail. It's a pavement pounder.

I am stumped. I HAVE SEARCHED here, and outside the forum, but no one mentions this bearing.

On a dana 30 (this is on an MJ, but an XJ is the same I beleive)... on a d30 there is the axle vacuum disconnect in the middle of the axle tube. On one side there is the axle shaft seal... keeps out the bad stuff.

ON THE OTHER SIDE inside the tube is a roller bearing. I cannot get this sucker out. I am using a 3/4" drive and a VERY long extention... right through and out the other side of the axle. BANG BANG BANG, and she won't budge. I have not seen anyone actually REMOVE this bearing, or mention removing it. I want it out, as I intend on sandblasting the housing, and sand and bearings don't mix. (not well anyway)

While I'm at it, I can't find any tips on removing the small needle bearings inside the end of the 2pc axle shaft.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks

Which way are you trying to move the bearing? The 95 FSM shows the disconnect axle used on the YJ, which seems the same as the earlier XJ's. On this, they show a pulling tool that somehow gets behind the bearing and pulls it out toward the right. The diagram is not very clear about how that tool gets into the bearing bore (of course it's a Jeep special tool, and presumably intuitive if you have it in your hand, so why bother....some pullers of that sort have a kind of very coarse screw end that goes behind the bearing, and others have a toggle, but neither is visible in this diagram). Anyway, one possibility, if you have the entire diff apart and access from both sides, might be to get a large piece of threaded rod, with washer/socket/whatever on the end to mate with the bearing, then fish it through the axle tube from the inside, and use that to pull the bearing out.

ChuckD -- Thank you... I re-read MadXJ and there is alot of good stuff. Unfortunately I don't see this particular bearing mentioned.

Matthew Currie -- I think we are speaking of the same bearing... and have the smae thought. I have tried remove the bearing by accessing the backside (through the driverside) and knocking it into the disconnect opening. It still doesn't budge. At least I know the FSM says it comes out in that direction... Thank You... I need to get one of those.

Before I try heat... has anyone removed this bearing before? Was yours so hard to get out?

Thanks

MaineJeepah said:
ChuckD -- Thank you... I re-read MadXJ and there is alot of good stuff. Unfortunately I don't see this particular bearing mentioned.

Matthew Currie -- I think we are speaking of the same bearing... and have the smae thought. I have tried remove the bearing by accessing the backside (through the driverside) and knocking it into the disconnect opening. It still doesn't budge. At least I know the FSM says it comes out in that direction... Thank You... I need to get one of those.

Before I try heat... has anyone removed this bearing before? Was yours so hard to get out?

Thanks

Sorry, I've never taken one out. Just happen to have the manual. My guess is that it might cooperate a little better if you can get a very straight pull on it. Sometimes even a little bit of off-center impact can make these things fight you harder.

Thanks... I am going to try tapping it backwards (down the tube towards the pumpkin) If it frees up then see if it will pop out the other way. All of the extentions I'm using may be doing as you said... knocking it XXXX-eyed. A shorter distance and fewer extensions could help the situation out...

It's frustration because it is the last thing to go before sandblasting and powdercoat. One stupid bearing.

Thanks again

Brad - MaineJeepah

to the admin:

I appologize. Didn't know that it would put XXXX up for me... so that means I used a bad word... It was unintentional.

Back