• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Convert 2wd To 4wd

skylo

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '98 XJ 4.0L w/auto. It has a 5.5" lift with 31x10.5. I have some buddies w/the parts to convert it. I think. I can get a NP231and a HP Dana 30 w/front shaft. The question is what tranny do I need or will mine work if I remove the back end of it and get an adapter for the transfer case? Also the rear drive shaft is probably to short. I don't even know what tranny is even in there, but it in great shape. It ony has 104K on it. Any help will be great!!

Your tranny will work, it is the same AW-4 used in 4X XJs. Your rear driveshaft will probably be too long to reuse, so you can have a shop cut it or find one from a 4X XJ at the boneyard.

To make a 2WD AW4 work with an NP231 or 242 you have to change the output shaft and replace the tail stock with a transfer case adaptor. I found it easier to replace both the transmission and transfer case, because replacing the output shaft is major surgery. You should be able to have your rear drive shaft cut, welded, and balanced at a local shop that specializes in that kind of thing.

You might as well install a slip yoke eliminator at the same time and have a new driveshaft made, seeing as you are at 5.5" lift already.

Back