• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wagoneer Questions

fasta76

NAXJA Forum User
would an 87 Waggy have d44 front and rear? and was there any major problems with them? I found one for sale For $5200 cdn with a 6inch lift and 33 mtrs but it has 320000km but was not sure if it had dana 44 ?

tom

fasta76 said:
would an 87 Waggy have d44 front and rear? and was there any major problems with them? I found one for sale For $5200 cdn with a 6inch lift and 33 mtrs but it has 320000km but was not sure if it had dana 44 ?

tom

The 87 has a drivers side drop front 44 with a perfectly centered rear 44. 87 and newer used the dana 44 axles, 80-86 used the amc 20. They are 6 lug axles. I used an 87 rear 44 in my cj8 and they work well. The rear is 58.5 inches wide where an XJ 44 is 60 1/4 wide (if you were planning on swapping them into an XJ).
Dave

96country said:
I'm pretty sure that in the 80 model and newer waggy's they used an AMC 20 rear.
I don't know if it had D44s front and rear, but I know this statement is not true. The '80 Waggy I got my front D44 from had a rear centered D44. AMC did enough weird stuff I wouldn't 100% rely on it having any particular axles until you see it.

I own an '87 Grand Wagoneer and it has drivers side drop low pinion D44 front w/ spring under and a D44 rear w/ spring over and 6x5.5 bolt pattern.

BIGWOODY said:
Grand wagoneer...or XJ wagoneer?
Ditto.

In 1987, the Wagoneer was a top-line XJ, with the same D30 front axle as all XJs and either a D35 or a D44 rear axle.

If you're referring to the full-size vehicle, in 1987 that would have been a Grand Wagoneer.

If he is talking about the Xj wagoneer, it should also have a HP 30 w/o the vacum disconnect. The only problems I know of with them besides the insane amount of vacum and emision tubing is the injectors like to leak, the pcv system barley worked, and the power window motors tend to go bad at the most inconvient time.

How much is 5200 cdn.... that sounds kinda high to me.

Patrick

Back