• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan Clutch Delema?

Rudy96'

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone :) I would like to ask a few questions about the thermal fan clutch on my 96' XJ. The problem is the fact that no matter how hot the engine gets it dosen't lock up, but when the engine is cold it's a bit hard to turn. I though a fan clutch was suposed to lock up when hot and spin freely when cold. What do you guy's think is up with this stupid thing? :)

what about when it's been nice and hot, then you shut it off and spin it while it's still hot? it should spin freely if it is bad.

'from what i've heard, when a fan clutch sits for a while it gets stiff but then when you start it up it goes free pretty quick.

replace it, they are cheap (I assume it is similar to the earlier ones). There is a test procedure in the shop manual for them also.

Michael

The fan clutch doesn't lock up. When it's hot it will slip less than when it's at normal operation temperature. If it's not obviously failed then it's not easy to determine if it's working correctly unless you have a non-contact tach that you can use to determine the slippage.

Just replace it. I went through hundreds of $$ and hours trying to fix an overheating problem in my '96, when it most likely was just the fan clutch (I replaced this last instead of first). It takes all of 30 minutes and just wear some gloves so the rad doesn't scrape the skin off your knuckles when you loosen the bolts.

Last edited:
Replace it, the test procedure consists of drilling a hole in the fan shroud, sticking a thermometer in it and then watching the thermometer rise and fall from air flow as the fan clutch engages and disengages while the engine is running.
Just make sure to get one the right length, car quest has 3 different sizes, two wrong and one right. They are made by AC/Delco AFAIK

Rudy96' said:
Ok cool, thanks all. Thats what I figured. I'll just get rid of it and get a nice new one.;)

Don't throw the old one out, tighten up the spring or drill a hole in it and put a bolt through it to make it solid and use it as a trail spare (if you keep trail spares).

Michael

2xtreme said:
Don't throw the old one out, tighten up the spring or drill a hole in it and put a bolt through it to make it solid and use it as a trail spare (if you keep trail spares).

Michael

Will do. I might switch to a electric fan some day but that takes money that could go to something better like a lift, exhaust ect. :)

hey rudy did you pick one up that fit nicely was wondering if it was the acdelco one that fit.....bc i am having the same issue with my fan clutch.
pete

alos wondering about the above......Mine seems to start getting warm when I drive in 4low or even 4 hi at very slow speeds for extended periods. Lately it has started to make a high pitched airplane motor type of sound.....I let the motor get up to mormal operating temperature and it spun fairly freely. I flung it down with my fingure and got the fan to turn maybe a half to three quarters a turn or so.

ITs amazing that you guys bring this up...i have the same exact issue as rudy..my clutch spins with resistance basically when its cold aswell as when its hot. When i drive at a steady pace my jeep runs at the center or a bit below but when i stop for a bit it climbs slowly and usally gets half way between the center and the mark thats next...

I called up carquest and they said thy stock the hayden one but can order the carquest brand one aswell as a acdelco one. My question is which one do i need ?? anyone have a model/item number/part number ?

Also the acdelco one is 65$ is this right ?

pete

jeepsrock said:
ITs amazing that you guys bring this up...i have the same exact issue as rudy..my clutch spins with resistance basically when its cold aswell as when its hot. When i drive at a steady pace my jeep runs at the center or a bit below but when i stop for a bit it climbs slowly and usally gets half way between the center and the mark thats next...

pete

I was having the same issue with my 97. I did a flush, thermostat, radiator cap, fan clutch and temp sender. In the past week, it doesn't go above 210. Unfortunately, I have no idea what 'fixed' it.

BTW, I went with all Mopar parts.

Sorry guy's I haven't purchased a new clutch yet. I shure hope a new one will lock up a bit more and help get the temps down. I've got about 76,000 miles on My XJ and it looks like the fan clutch has been replaced before. The bolts holding it on are mared up a bit. I pray that I'm wrong but I think a new clutch is like $60!:(

Well i went and ordered a ac delco fan and that doesnt fit either. I am unsure of what to do at this moment, should i go to carquest and get one made by their brand ? What exactly will fit ?

pete

Not sure if this helps or not.

I just purchased a Hayden from Shucks (cost about $30). Fits good, however I recommend you cut off the little "teeth" that stick out infront of the fan (toward the radiator).

Michael

You might have to remove the top radiator support to get it in.All of these are the same thickness from .
AC 15-80287
Napa 272310
Imperal 215149
I have had all 3 on my 96 at one time or the other,the AC /Delco is on it now.
Wayne

Just to give you peps a update...I have tried:

Imperial from autozone which doesnt fit #215149
Hayden from Kragen which doesnt fit #2625
AcDElco #15-80287 doesnt fit ( but looks like a nice unit as its very large.)

I finally got the fan from carquest (carquest brand in grey/blue/red box) to fit as it was very close to the stock one but had four nudges that with manipulation i got to fit.

Hopefully it will fix my issues...we will see tom. If anyone needs the carquest fan clutch number let me now as i have the box.

TH x
Pete

Back