• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

External CB speakers

JaysXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a cheap Realistic brand CB from Radio Shack. Is it wise to splice external speakers directly to the internal speaker connections? It only has one internal speaker and is very hard to hear what people are saying. Can I install two small "cube" speakers on the dash? Whoaaaa whoa whoooaaa whoa whoaaaa whoaa?

Thanks

its not hard to do, but with that cheap of one its really easy to mess up, if i was u id just spend the money and buy a good cobra or maybe if ur a big spender buy a Galaxy...just a few thoughts from a truck driver

You can do it. But there isn't enough power being sent to the factory speaker to put any kind of signal into a pair of speakers on the dash.

Does the radio have an external speaker jack on the back?
If it does it is a simple procedure to hook up some dash speakers.

Galaxy radios are not certified for use in the US for operation on the CB band.

Before, I get flamed by a bunch of truckers, take a look at the FCC website. Pilot truck stops earned themselves a $125,000 fine for selling them.

You can't ruin the radio by experimenting with the speakers. I have a cheap CB in my CJ7 and I cut the internal speaker wires and attached them to an external CB speaker which is pointed at me and closer than the radio. I think you will only have enough power to run one speaker. Don't forget garage sales, I find all kinds of old CB stuff for next to nothing. Maybe you can find a louder radio or one with a jack on the back for the external speaker.

Back