• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading Alternator - Which One?

Spidey

NAXJA Forum User
Powermaster, Mean Green or Other for my '92 XJ Limited?
I want to invest in a nice one, as this will still be my DD until the wife's KJ is paid off in '07. (Then it will be a dedicated trail rig - WOO HOO!)
Have 1 pair of Bosch driving lights right now in addition to the factory fog lights, plus upgraded stereo w/amps. The headlights already dim at times when the electric fan kicks on, so I want to make sure that I'm getting enough extra juice.
Will also most likely end up adding 2 more sets of lights when I add a roof rack.
I was always under the impression that the Powermaster was priced less, but from what I have found so far they are fairly close in price.
Questions? Comments? Gestures?

I don't know how many times I've got to say this...

Find a local rebuilder and buy from him. Build a good relationship - send work to him BY NAME and watch prices go down. You're also dealing directly with the guy doing the work, so you're likely to get better work!

Since XJ's used Delco (RENIX) and Mitsubishi (ChryCo) alternators, it's not like you're trying to find something strange - Hell, upgrades for both have been around for a good long while.

I deal with a local rebuilder I've known for years (since my "industrial mechanic" days,) and I bought my last two alternators (140A and 200A) for under $100 EACH.

You're in Wichita, so you should be able to find something decent - look for guys that work iwth tractors, forklifts, and other equipment.

Failing that, let me know and I'll give you contact details for Rod's shop - I don't have pricing anywhere handy, but he knows about us, and his work is good enough that I'm always trying to send him business. He's willing to do mailorder - I've talked to him about it before.

5-90

5-90 said:
Since XJ's used Delco (RENIX) and Mitsubishi (ChryCo) alternators, it's not like you're trying to find something strange - Hell, upgrades for both have been around for a good long while.

5-90

Nippondenso makes the alternators on 91-up. Mitsubishi made the starters.

I do the same and have a local guy do my work (i have used him for about 20 years). I paid about $150 for my rebuild to 185 amp, with a smaller pully, and everything else I needed. When I buiried it in mud several months later he fixed it again for less than $50.

Also, if you upgrade your alt make sure you upgrade your power and ground wires for the battery and the power wire from the alt to the junction and from the junction to the battery. The alt wire is way too small in stock configuration.

HTH,
Michael

MJR - Thanks. My next book will be more general, so I'll have this stuff fixed in mind a little better sometime...

I'd recommend upgrading the factory/OEM mains wiring even if you weren't doing an alternator upgrade - just because most companies tend to skimp (it's amazing how much rewiring I've had to do on Fords...) From what I've seen on the prices of some of the aftermarket mains cables, looks like I'll be making them for sale soon. Let me know if you're interested...

5-90

Back