• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sleeved "frame" and drop brackets - need input

pair8hd

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of using 4x3x1/4 c-channel to sleeve my frame rails and not too sure what to do about the RE drop brackets and braces I have. I do not plan of changing my front suspension. Should I just notch out the c-channel and weld it to the DB and braces? Any other ideas?

On mine, I just sleeved it up to the braces. There really isn't much point in trying to notch around them.....they "sleeve" the unibody pretty well themselves.

Also, if you think you'll EVER go to long arms or a different suspension setup, then having the sleeves welded to the braces would really suck.

Brian
www.projectxj.com

Weasel said:
How did you get around the rail that has the lip on the inside of it? Cut it off?

I did Angle iron style supports on that sections, in addition to my sliders welding along the out side to larger plates welded to the subframe...

subframe_tacked.jpg

You can kind see in this pic, that forward of my skid plate, I only sleved the outside and bottom of the fraim rails. (This was before sliders/cage tieins)
P1010008.jpg

fatwreck said:
On mine, I just sleeved it up to the braces. There really isn't much point in trying to notch around them.....they "sleeve" the unibody pretty well themselves.

Also, if you think you'll EVER go to long arms or a different suspension setup, then having the sleeves welded to the braces would really suck.

Brian
www.projectxj.com
Don't plan on long arms, they are overrated.
But I think I will notch around the brackets and braces, just in case...

Back