• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track Bar Popping NOT the Driver's Side Mount?

ruehmann

NAXJA Forum User
So, I've read most of the threads about track bar's poping or pooping which ever you prefer.

I have a RE adjustable track bar. It looks like the connection between the hiem joint and the rest of the bar is stripped? does this happen? The bar almost looks like it's going to seperate. This is happening on the driver side.

I'm a numbscull and don't know the prupose of moving the nut backward and forward on the adjustable bar. could someone explain. Is moving the adjustable nut all the way to the passenger side a fix?

Please help, as This is a daily driver.

Well... you might get flamed for that question...but I can see how it may be confusing if you have never messed with that kind of stuff. The nut needs to be tight against the part that is screwed onto the threads. This keeps it from wobbling around. If it isn't tight, the play between the threads of the 2 parts will make a clunk. It may make for sloppy steering response too. Keep it tight. You said the threads were stripped. Does that mean you can't adjust it, or the big nut won't get tight?

Thanks Harvo, I'll check that out I just have to find a flashlight. I'll let you know.

As for being flamed I'm sorry that I didn't pay attention or wasn't told when I was sold the part. I dont understand the workings. I Installed the lift with some help Trimmed the fendors, and installed skid plates. Then I moved and don't have a garage, so I've left my Poor Jeep alone.

SO to risk further imbarassement If the nut isnt flush against the larger shaft the play occurs? Is that right? So why don't they make it all one piece? (Stupid question)

It seems like the track bar up to the eyelet of the hiem joint should be all one.

Just trying to learn something.. .
"Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me."

They do make track bars that are all one piece. The advantage with the adjustable one is that you can center your axle whether you go up with a lift or for some ungodly reason have to drop the suspension. The nut that you are speaking of and that Harvo was explaining to you is called a jam nut. When tightened against the large part of the track bar, it basically becomes one solid piece. If the threads are stripped you may be able to get a replacement piece. Just contact the dealer where you purchased the track bar and see if they sell one.

By the way, this how you learn things so don't feel that you're going to get flamed :cheers:

Laters.........Mikey :cool:

Thanks,

Should the Jam nut be tightened at a specific torque? or just Very tight?

It's not stripped, I thiink I just looked like it because it was dark and I was being overly concerned.

Thanks

No specific torque. Just make sure it's good and tight. YANK ON IT!!! I doubt that you'll strip it. If you do, remind me not to piss you off :laugh3: Those things are pretty tough. I just hit a concrete barrier with my 90, which has a JKS adjustable track bar, and it bent the threaded end all to s*&t but didn't pull it out or anything. Jam nut is still where it's supposed to be and damn tight. Something else you may want to be aware of. Hiem joint will transfer noise to the unibody. This is because its a metal ball in a metal socket. There is nothing to isolate it from the unibody like rubber or neopreme bushing.

Laters..........Mikey :cool:

Back