• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans Plate Noise, Rear Main How Much $

engsapper

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 with a 4.0 that I no needs a rear main as I go through a quart every 2 weeks but oil press has always been 40-60 now psi is 20-40 and it is making a tapping noise from around trans area (stoped or going). A guy at work tells me it is a plate that hooks to my torque converter that is cracked, (by the sound only ) any one ele had these problem.

I do all my own basic work (lift, tune up, ect) but not sure is I should get in to this
Are these fixes easy (1 day)or should I take it to a shop.
And cost to do my self compared to the shop.

Any info helpful
Jason

It's called a flexplate. Common problems seem to be the bolts coming loose or cracked plate itself. You can remove the inspection cover on the front of the bellhousing and shine a flashlight up there to take a gander if the bolts are tight and if the flexplate's cracked or not.

A few weeks ago I thought I had a potentially warped flexplate and was NOT relishing the idea of working on it. Luckily it ended up being something else. But I was going to do it myself if needed with help from a friend. I'm stubborn like that. I suppose it depends on your economic means and comfort level with home repairs. I would imagine it would cost a good chunk of change for a shop to do.

There is tons of info when you do a search. I would skim the threads and decide if you want to do it yourself.

The parts are cheap & the project doesn't require much in the way of special tools, but it can be difficult. See this writeup on how to do it (it is very detailed, although the writer goes to more effort, perhaps, than he needs to):

http://jeepin.com/features/rearmain/index.asp

I'm not sure in every case it is necessary to raise the heep to get the oil pan off.

It cost me $298 to have a local shop do it (& that is a very good price for 5 hours of labor--yes, FIVE hours). Most places will charge more.

Back