• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes Frozen

JEEPTHIS

NAXJA Forum User
This is the second time this happened. Today it was 7 degrees. The e-brake light comes on and there is no pedal at initial start up. After it warmed up, the light went off and pedal was restored. Drove to the gas station, 1 mile, froze up again. Came out of said station, it was thawed out, light off, plenty of pedal, fine all the way to work, 30 miles. Last time I actually took it to a friend's house and put it in his garage for about 15 minutes with the heater facing it until the light would go off. The brakes actually work when it is "frozen", it's just a really hard pedal. Any suggestions?

Change your brake fluid, brake fluid is hydroscopic and absorbs water like a sponge. If it is dark or black you need to change it. Get too much water or moisture in there and the fluid can freeze. Either get a hand tool to bleed the system yourself, have it done at a garage or do a gravity flush.
The other thing that can happen is the brake shoes can freeze to the brake drums if you use your emergency brake in cold weather like below 25, brakes are generally warm or hot, pop the EB on and any moisture in there will freeze, if that sounds strange go lick a flagpole and see what happens at 7F :laugh3: but make sure someone has a camera, we'd like to see it...... :laugh3:

I will be flushing the brake fluid as it is not exactly the color it should be. At least I don't think it should be greenish-black lol. Rich, you're only like 15 minutes away, so if you'd like to see someone try the flagpole test, you by the beer at the Jonas and I'm sure, no positive, someone there will try it.

Maybe later, my son rolled his TJ last nite, 3x's, and it's in the driveway now, between that and the daughters mishaps last week with hers I'm not in much of a mood right now...need a whole new front clip and windshield for it, rear tailgate and rad, fan, top. Might just part it out... Boy, so far this year sucks. Just thankful nobody got hurt.

Back