• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine is back in... need electrical help

JVRacer04

NAXJA Forum User
well as said... i have my engine back in after 3 months almost

i still have some troubles of getting it started

******...im not getting power to the fuel pump, starter and im not getting spark either (i hard wired my starter and it will crank fine, and thats how i checked if i had spark)******

ive read the haynes manual front and back, i cant find anything about the voltage regulator ..im guessin mine went bad even tho it hasnt been touched in 3 months and work just fine when i had the engine in

(this is where raw power connects to the altenator, and then it has 3 prongs, one of which is for the starter and the other 2 i dunno where they go and im too affraid ill mess sumthing up if i run power sraight to them to test)

i have a '89 and i just cant figure it out....

i put a new transmission in with a np231 transfer case (i used to be 2wd) and one of the wires was cut on the NSS plug, ive already spliced and fixed it... but i was just curious if the NSS somehow shuts off power to the fuel pump as well as the starter? is this my culpret?

please help me... :( I NEED my Jeep... school starts agoin tomorrow and bumming rides at 8:00am is just a pain

01-16-05_1453.jpg

The big metal relay is the starter relay. There are four connections labeled BA, SOL, I, and G. BA is where the positive cable attaches from the battery, the wire goes to the alternator, and all the fusible links connect. SOL is where the 14ga dark green wire goes to the starter solenoid and a 14 orange/black wire goes to the fuel pump bypassing the ballast resistor during cranking only. I is where a 14 green wire comes from the ignition switch to crank the starter motor. G is 18ga black wire that goes to the neutral saftey switch so it only cranks in park/neutral.

I hope this helps.

search threads for "automatic shut down relay" it relates to the systems you say are not working. may or may not help.

Dave

i didnt see anything on the automatic shut down relay

and thanks alot mjr... ill check up on it tomorrow... hopefully a new starter relay will fix my problem

MJR said:
The big metal relay is the starter relay. There are four connections labeled BA, SOL, I, and G. BA is where the positive cable attaches from the battery, the wire goes to the alternator, and all the fusible links connect. SOL is where the 14ga dark green wire goes to the starter solenoid and a 14 orange/black wire goes to the fuel pump bypassing the ballast resistor during cranking only. I is where a 14 green wire comes from the ignition switch to crank the starter motor. G is 18ga black wire that goes to the neutral saftey switch so it only cranks in park/neutral.

I hope this helps.

so to test that my ignition (key) is not the problem i could hook the green to 12v and the black NSS wire to ground and if everything is not functional then the relay is bad?

JVRacer04 said:
so to test that my ignition (key) is not the problem i could hook the green to 12v and the black NSS wire to ground and if everything is not functional then the relay is bad?

Yup.

went to autozone and oreilly

i tell them starter relay and they think im talkin about the starter solenoid

whats the technical name for this thing?

Ive heard it called "underhood power distribution relay" - "main ignition box"- and "starter relay"
last time I asked for the ignition box (on the steering column/lower) they brought out one, and that part, because they had no idea which I needed-
offically, its a starter relay- but it includes lots of stuff.
it wont be listed as starter solinoid relay pack, nor is it included on the same shelf. They probably have it on the relay shelf.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44075

pricey.

Back