• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny / Tcase Installation And Usage

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
I just got done putting in the tranny/ tcase this afternoon and i went to start the car. Everything was attached other than the driveshafts to verify movement.

I started the jeep and amazingly it started, i then proceeded to shift the tranny in the other gears (R, N, etc) and everything worked. I then proceeded to shift it back into Park and i heard this loud metallic grinding noise. After repeating this and having the same result- i came to the conclusion this was because the absense of the rear driveshaft that caused it to be spinning when the tranny was being put into park. I then proceeded to put in the rear driveshaft (front not installed still) and figured everything was well.

I started the jeep shifted into the othr gears and this time additionally shift the tcase which also decides to produce this metallic grinding noise after which the rear output decides to quit spinning.At this time i put the tranny into park and the same noise was heard. At this time i am starting to worry and hope nothing is severly damaged.

I turn off the jeep and try to shift tthe tcase into other gears by manually shifting the lingage and it wont busge in any direction...whats the deal ????

Please help...Sorry for the long post
pete

The noise when shifting back to park was due to the trans output still spinning, as you guessed. As for the t-case, it to will make bad noises if you try shifting it while the outputs are turning at different speeds. It depends on which case you have. But for example, if the case ws in nuetral, and you tried to engage any other range while the trans was in gear, you will hear gear clash. It is designed to operate as a shift on the fly system, so it is assumed that the vehicle is moving down the road at a steady speed, w/both frt and rr axles at the same speed. As for not wanting to shift w/ the engine off, the shift hubs in the case engage splines for the different modes, and if they are not lined up, it won't want to shift. Again, when the vehicle is moving, the shift is easier. Put both the shafts in and test drive it on the road to verify proper operation.

I appreciate your response eexplorer...what you said makes real sense.

I just hope that all that nothing is harmed by all this..do u think so ?

So after thinking about it for a while i think here is the plan for tom evenings trial.. connect both driveshafts, start the jeep but the tranny in nuetral and adjust the tcase shifter and make sure it works and shifts in all modes while in neutral (tranny). After it is adjusted -i will put the tcase in 2wd and shift the tranny out of nuetral into watever gear i need.

This is all i can come up with as th tcase wont move into anything other than nuetral while its off, unless you have any suggestions..

Well it be safe to test the 4wd hi on pavement as long as i drive straight ...? Or rather how can i test this ?

THx and srry for all the Qs

pete

Pete

jeepsrock said:
I appreciate your response eexplorer...what you said makes real sense.

I just hope that all that nothing is harmed by all this..do u think so ?

So after thinking about it for a while i think here is the plan for tom evenings trial.. connect both driveshafts, start the jeep but the tranny in nuetral and adjust the tcase shifter and make sure it works and shifts in all modes while in neutral (tranny). After it is adjusted -i will put the tcase in 2wd and shift the tranny out of nuetral into watever gear i need.

This is all i can come up with as th tcase wont move into anything other than nuetral while its off, unless you have any suggestions..

Well it be safe to test the 4wd hi on pavement as long as i drive straight ...? Or rather how can i test this ?

THx and srry for all the Qs

pete

Pete

Your plan should work fine. Remember that if the TC is in neutral and the tranny in gear, you need to let the tranny coast down before you put the TC in gear, or it will crunch (I often put the TC in N and the tranny in 3d to warm it up in winter).

Yes, you can test 4WD on pavement as long as you go straight, and it won't hurt it if you turn a little bit, as long as you don't keep at it and stress the drivetrain. If it's in 4WD and you start a turn, you should feel the front tires fighting back, and that's a good test that it's really working.

Back