• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

custom taillights

oldie eye

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to replace the entire taillight lenses on my '87, & have cut new steel housings to hold approx 2" X 5" oval lights. The XJ has many wires/bulbs, & the ovals accept only 3 wires. They are for tail/stop/turn. I* assume 1 pin is for tail, 1 for ground, & 1 for stop/turn. A 4-way plug for example allows the same, stop turn, a& tail, plus a ground. How does 1 pin on the new lens accomodate both turn & stop wires from my harness? Does the turn function act as a flasher, shorting out the stop signal?

oldie eye said:
I would like to replace the entire taillight lenses on my '87, & have cut new steel housings to hold approx 2" X 5" oval lights. The XJ has many wires/bulbs, & the ovals accept only 3 wires. They are for tail/stop/turn. I* assume 1 pin is for tail, 1 for ground, & 1 for stop/turn. A 4-way plug for example allows the same, stop turn, a& tail, plus a ground. How does 1 pin on the new lens accomodate both turn & stop wires from my harness? Does the turn function act as a flasher, shorting out the stop signal?

You'll probably either need to build your own harness or use a trailer light controller. The 3 wire setup that you're looking at works as follows:
wire 1 = bright light
wire 2 = brighter light
wire 3 = ground.

Why not fit 2 or 3 lights in there? Depending on how much room you have there, you can use 2 or 3 lights and get everything you need.
Here's a few links to vendors that make different lights:
Truck lite
Grote
Flora Wrecker
Ledtronics

Back