• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cold = no power steering?

BSH

NAXJA Forum User
This morning it was 16 degrees out. I started the Jeep, let it sit for a minute or so, and eased into gear. I couldn't delieve how stiff the steering was, it was about worse than losing power steering. Two points into a three point turn (necessitated by the unexpectedly hard steering), it gave a bit of a clunk, and the power steering kicked in. Anybody else experience anything like that? What's up with that?
Cheers,
B

I cant help ya but I dont think power steering pumps like cold. My bro hit a snow bank in his Chevy Malibu the other night and it fried his so uhh have ya hit any snow banks?

FWIW mine's doing the same. This is my 3rd winter with this jeep
and this is a new problem so don't pass it off as normal.
Mine kicks in if you just work it a bit slow and easy. It would suck if
you were parallel parked in a tight spot though..

I have an '87 with (i think) the original PS pump and it was working fine, turns wheels easy right away at -27* Something must be wrong... Iced over steering parts?

Ice or hardpacked snow could cause teh problem. did the pump make any unusual groaning or other noise? It could also be the fluid is contaminated w/ water and passages in the pump were frozen.

Mine was a little stiff the other morning and it was about 3 degrees out, but that isn't so much of a problem as the honking sound coming from the column when I turn the wheel than its below 20 out and the truck is cold.

May or may not be the problem, but a possibility. I´ve seen (so called) mechanics dump DOT 3 into a power steering resivoir to top it off. WRONG. The fluid for the power steering is a light, high flahspoint hydrolic oil. DOT 3 is basically suger and esters. DOT 3 sucks up water like a sponge. The water will freeze in the DOT 3, but the DOT 3 itself won´t freeze (at most partical temps).
I´d heat it up, dump the fluid and put in a good power steering oil. Might take a few replacements, as I´d guess if there is water in there, it may be at the lowest point in the system.

I've had a simular problem the last couple nights on my way to work. I just figured it was cause it was like -12 degrees f at that time.

When that used to happen to me, I'd just rev the engine to about 2,000, and then rock the wheel. There is a valve in the pump that gets stuck when it is old and dirty. A new pump and flush would solve the problem, but you'll be fine just living with it. It will take a very long while to get worse.

My 99 does that too. Hard to steer, and the pump moans really loud. So I let it warm up this morning about 10 minutes (same temps outside here, amazing how fast this thing warms up in the driveway). I went to move it about a minute after I started it so i could see it if anybody tried to monkey with it, and it moaned real bad, steering was VERY stiff, and tranny took it's sweet time going into reverse from drive. So 10 minutes later, it's warm, and not AS stiff. I get to the end of my street and it starts to loosen up.

My guess is they really don't like very cold weather. Let the engine warm up a few minutes and they'll get better.

BTW it only does it after it sat all night. Leaving school it's fine, and leaving work (both the engine has cooled down completely) it's fine.

My buddy had the same issue a year ago. His pump was making the groaning noise as well. The noise started in the summer, but he did not do anything until the steering wheel was unable to be turned, winter and -15 degrees.
He added a bottle of Lucas power steering fluid, after draining the same amount of the old fluid. Both the noise and the hard steer have NOT returned in a years time.

I know on my diesel pickup I had a simular problem, so what I did was flush and refill the pump with Mobil 1 synthetic. Should work in a Jeep, being their p/s systems aren't as complex as whats in my Super Duty.

Cherokee's DO NOT take ATF. I just had carmax refill mine cause it was down to low a couple weeks ago. Upon reading my owners manual, it said specifically "not not use ATF".

Stiff steering in the morning or when cold is a common problem in the automotive world.. I see it occasionally on different cars and my 87 does it every morning .

This is commenly known as 'morning sickness' and was very prevolent in GM cars in the 80s rack and pinion style steering. It also happens in saginaw power steering boxes.

The seals in the steering box get worn as does the surface that they ride on. The seals shrink slightly overnight and when you start in the morning the fluid by-passes these seals until the fluid warms them and suddenly there is power steering again.

Fluid conditioners can help, but ulimately steering box replacement is necessary. Rebuilt boxes are typicaly re-machined and fitted with a stainless sleeve to help prevent wear in the future.

Regarding the post above, NEVER NEVER use DOT3 brake fluid in a P/S system... it WILL destroy the seals and rubber hoses.

Brake fluid does not destroy rubber. Your wheel cylinders and master cylinder have rubber seals, they live in DOT3.

Using DOT3 in a PS system is ridiculous. Using ATF is not, it is a hydraulic fluid. Personally, I find dumping a little 20W-50 into a noisy worn PS pump is just what the doctor ordered. Thicker viscosities tend to not bypass seals/pistons so easily, boosting your fluid pressure and improving performance.

Jared:patriot:

Just what I needed to read. My wifes 95 ZJ is doing the same thing. Her's is on the coldest morning here in Texas (still above freezing) and only last for about 10 seconds. I'll flush and add new fluid (and some lucas oil) this weekend and watch it.
Thanks.

FWIW, There is evidently a TSB that says you CAN use ATF..

Its smart to pay attention to these things, you never know if they
used some odd type of plastic for a seal and the wrong fluid might
be incompatable..

DeadEyeJ said:
Brake fluid does not destroy rubber. Your wheel cylinders and master cylinder have rubber seals, they live in DOT3.

Yes that is true, however... soak those rubber pieces that are designed for brake fluid in P/S fluid and watch the results.

The opposite is also true...soak rubber that was designed for hydralic fluid like p/s fluid and ATF, in brake fluid... the same happens... the rubber will swell and become very soft, destroying it.

Back