• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trutrac and different size tire Q's.

GI-John

NAXJA Forum User
Okay folks here is my dilemma.

4.0/ AW4/ NP242, D30 with Truetrac/ 8.8 with EZ Locker / 4.88's/ 33's

I was planning to use one of my old 32's as a spare but am afraid that I will screw something up because there is at least 2" of difference between new tires/ old spare

I know (think) that if I put it in the rear (with the EZ) I risk potential damage, so the spare would be used for the front only, but I'm unsure of the problems I might encounter with the bias between the two...

I'm thinking that the TT would sense the bias and transfer torque to one wheel.....is this gonna cause problems??? I'm really unsure if it is even gonna be a problem when in 2wd...what about 4 Full Time?

I'm ready to purchase a new 33 (Hi-tec Retread) but could really use the money if I can get away with the old spare.

As always, any help is appreciated, and Thanks in advance.

John

If you can "spare" the change, an exact match 5th is a great idea... especially if you rotate them around...

But if the best 32" you have now is in good shape, I wonder how much PSI difference it'd be to come closer to meeting in the middle? That would alleviate any driveline bind worries, but may introduce handling quirks.

How long would you plan to drive on the spare? Off the trail & home or the next 4000 miles?

OTOH I am not the one to talk tires & wheels with.

Thinking worst case scenario...trail to home (which may be up to 250 or so miles).

I'm suprised that with all the tech heads on here there aren't more replies.

Maybe I should call detroit on this one.

Bump.....any other opinions?

Call up Hi-tec and see if they have any blems - even cheaper than their regular prices. Got my 35" spare for $75 shipped :wave:

John. I carry a plug kit and air, I say risk it. If worse comes to worse you can alter air pressures toi get them close, or borrow a tire and wheel...at least for Winterfest.

As far as general use, I say check with tire shops look for a used 33.

HTH

Rev

Back