• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

??? re 89 XJ

Stubborn Dutchman

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting conflicting stories re which 5 speed trans and TC were offered in the 89's. Looking to buy one cheap and want to make sure it has the AX15 behind the 4.0. I tried the search but didn't see what I was looking for.

TIA

Don

with 89's you really have to look and see... the Peugot BA10/5 will have a distinct seam down the middle where the two case-halves meet. My 89 MJ had a BA10/5 & 21 spline NP231 TC.

After 3/9/89 it should be a AX-15 and prior to BA 10. Like Woody's description you can see for yourself. Most likely the t-case is a 231 since I do not think they offered a 242 with a manual trans.

Thank you for the replies. This guy posted in one thread that it was a Puegot
In another thread he posted it is a AX15. If it has the AX15 I am very interested since it and the 231 should make good spares for my TJ, right?

Stubborn Dutchman said:
Thank you for the replies. This guy posted in one thread that it was a Puegot
In another thread he posted it is a AX15. If it has the AX15 I am very interested since it and the 231 should make good spares for my TJ, right?

There have been some changes inside those items but I can't give you specifics. I don't know exactly what parts you needed.

Back