• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about fitting 33s

quivvy

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to buy an XJ as a beater for the trails. My plans go as follows. To start off (im on a tight budget)... an XJ, 2" budget boost (i can get used), 33s, cut fenders, locker in rear.

The main question is will 33s fit if i dont mind alot of fender cutting or no?

any advice appreciated. thanks alot for the help in advance.

tough one!!! no problem if a two door, chances are your a 4 door.
if you put the right rims on you wont rub the control arms TOO much.
will need some bumpstops and dont plan on getting too much uptravel either
some things i would do:
redrill the center pin hole on the rear axle back an inch and cut more of the rear part of the rear fender out (watch that fuel neck though)
use 9.5 or 10 wide tires on 8 wide rim
if you put disco's on the front, size the shocks up right so you only get a few inches of uptravel and a whole lot of down travel

Was it cheapxj that had 3" lift with 35's and severly hacked fenders? I'd say you could fit 33's on a BB no problem if you like the sawzall.

more than a sawzall, gonna need to put in new tubs more than likey if you want any real flex out of it. the front of his was just banged in wiht a hammer. its possible, post pics if you do

thanks for all the quick replies. appreciate it. any more info would be appreciated. so it WILL need more than just some sawzall-ing or no? ive seen a ZJ with a 2" and 33"s i believe.

now would i be better off running a wide 31 or 32 and getting more flex? (like i said tight budget to start and tires + locker is most important to me.. larger lift will come with time and $)

Nihil said:
Was it cheapxj that had 3" lift with 35's and severly hacked fenders? I'd say you could fit 33's on a BB no problem if you like the sawzall.

Yeh, 3" with 36's actually, but his a a two door and he made new rear wheelwheels. Now he is up to 38.5's and around 8". Its possible, you are just going to need to cut A LOT. Welding will probably be required since you are going to have to cut above the pinch seam. And yeh, you will need to extend your bump stops. Make sure to post some pics

i will most deffinitely post pics if i end up doing it. a little welding is no biggie. im assuming he needed new tubs in the rear because it was 36s! lol. i have to find out for sure i wont need new rear tubs with 33"s and ONLY need some cutting and maybe a little welding. now like i said, would i be better off with a 31x11.50 or wide 32" to get a lil more flex or would a 33" be more beneficial

Do you have a 2 door? Also, depending on what axles you have and if you plan to regear will have an influence on deciding on what tire you are going to want.

a 6pak and the sawzall = however big you want to go. get'er done and post pics. im planning on the 4" lift, 34"s and a lot of cutt'n. you should be fine w/33"s.

Lore5 said:
Yeh, 3" with 36's actually, but his a a two door and he made new rear wheelwheels. Now he is up to 38.5's and around 8". Its possible, you are just going to need to cut A LOT. Welding will probably be required since you are going to have to cut above the pinch seam. And yeh, you will need to extend your bump stops. Make sure to post some pics

i did the same thing, its not that hard to do. you just need to weld the rear back up and your good to go.

JJ yeah - its adam. thanks for all the input guys. im tossing around ideas for now and playing with #s on what ill be able to afford to do. its a flex vs. tire question. i like the look of 33s better but i think id be better off with more flex for now. ill post pics with whatever i do. thanks. keep it comin!

you can fit 33s if you do not want fenders anymore. flex i think is a bit more important than they way they look. i say buy or peice together a 3" lift then add the two" bb. no prob then.

5"? thats overkill for 33's if you plan on major trimming. 35s then, but then you need to look into axle upgrades

Ramsey said:
5"? thats overkill for 33's if you plan on major trimming. 35s then, but then you need to look into axle upgrades

Yeh, if he wants to do a lot of trimming 5" is way to much. Keep in mind he is trying to keep it cheap and with 5" comes a lot of expensed. brake lines, SYE, ect. I am at about 3.5" right now and I am going to do some more cutting and slap on some 33's.

Have you thought about using V8 ZJ spring up front with spacers and some dakota/S-10 springs in the back? That would be a cheap way of getting lift. Get some soft 8's, run like 3.75" of BS.

With a 2" spacer up front, I bet you could be getting close to 4" of lift.

i am actually planning on using s10 springs in rear and spacers up front for now (can get them used for a fair price). my question is, if i lift over 2" on a 94 will i start to get vibes and when will i need SYE and driveshaft? thats the main reason i dont want to lift more is that tacks on alot of $dough$

quivvy said:
i am actually planning on using s10 springs in rear and spacers up front for now (can get them used for a fair price). my question is, if i lift over 2" on a 94 will i start to get vibes and when will i need SYE and driveshaft? thats the main reason i dont want to lift more is that tacks on alot of $dough$
You probably won't get vibes at that lift. I also know for a fact that you can fit 33's with cutting on 2" of lift. Buck Jackson on here has exactly that on his 97. They are on stock rims and do rub the LCA's a bit, even after adjusting his steering stops, but its not too bad. On a different note, what kind of wheeling do you do? I only ask because its not really that much of a difference going from 31's to 33's as far as capability on the trail. Lockers and 31's on 2-3" of lift will get you damn near anywhere you want to go. $0.02.

What kinda rear axle? If you're rockin a D35 you could probably go around 4" with a 1" t-case drop and vibes wouldn't be bad at all, especaily if it's just a trail beater.

Back