• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slow oil pressure rise

Hobby

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, noticed lately that it is taking a little longer to get my oil pressure to rise after starting. It has been cold lately, down in the single digits, but I don't remember it doing this last year. When I start it, it will take about 3-4 seconds for oil pressure to rise to normal and you can hear the difference in the sound from the engine when the pressure rises. I don't want to damage anything from this but don't know why it is doing it. Any suggestions? 2000 4.0, I have run mobil 1 10-30 and mobil 1 filters since I got it at 43,000 miles, now has 71,000 and the oil and filter get changed every 3,000 miles.

Thanks

It's not unusual for the oil pressure gauge to take that long to register after a cold start especially in the depth of winter. You could try a 0W-30 oil and see if that improves things. It's thinner than 10W-30 when cold and will reach the top of the engine a little bit faster.

Back