• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some tips on trac bar mount fabbing...

danny boy

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy,

Recently I've been frustrated too many times by the performance of my Rusty's adjustable trac bar coupled with the stock frame bracket. The problem is that the stud in the rod end tends to "egg out" the hole in the bracket. This invariably results in hellish death wobble. I've replaced the bracket before but now I just want a new solution.

Here's what I was thinking: I don't want to buy a new trac bar and I would rather not buy a new frame bracket (such as from RE, etc.) because money is too tight right now. So, my idea is to eliminate the tie rod style rod end from the bar and replace it with a heim or JJ. Then, I would cut and weld the stock bracket to make it work with the new joint. I haven't done too much calculating or measuring yet because I wanted the esteemed advice of some of my fellow jeepers before continuing.

Though I've gotten skilled with making a lot of stuff like this, I'm not confident enough in my welding skills to try something like this which could hold my or others' lives in the balance. If I assembled it with tack welds to hold it together, would a local welding shop take on a few simple welds for me, or would there be any liability to worry about?

If there's anything else or if anyone has pics/tips/advice I'd love to hear it.
BTW, sorry for being so longwinded.

Dan

I would offer mine but it was ripped appart on a thread here. Oh yea and by the way anyone that is intrested the Heim broke first. My home built shitty welded TB bracket is still working fine. Do a search under my sn to see what I did... I think the thread was called How crazy am I.... or something like that....

Some images of the bracket are here....

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/commu...rid=57574&groupid=40672&folderview=thumbs&ck=

TB here:

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/commu...rid=97180&groupid=40672&folderview=thumbs&ck=

Last edited:
I had similar problems many years ago before these aftermarket adapters were ever even made and my solution was to tack weld 2, 3/16" thick, light tabs (with a hiem joint and mis-alignment inserts bolted in for proper spacing)right to the bottom of the factory bracket and then added a strip of 3/16" on the wheel side from the middle of the tabs up 3" on the bracket ( making the mount 3-sided). Recently I've added a brace to opposite frame which REALLY helped stiffen up the front end, you will notice a varing degree of frame deflection by using a drop TB mount that will need to addressed at some point so be aware of this now.

Good Luck!

http://community.webshots.com/album/170560540JhoBHF

I tend to over-engineer when in doubt, thus the plate gusset on my trackbar mount. If I were to redo it, I would kick it inboard slightly so that the coil wouldn't rub the paint off the TB mount under full compression, but it's not a big enough irritant for me to rework it. I also incorperated a crossmember/brace. I built my own trackbar as well, using RE small SF joints.

Back