• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

show n' shine

shimmy

NAXJA Forum User
those of you who use some sort of armourall or black magic on your fender flares, what works best? i mean, what lasts the longest and keeps them looking black? i hate that they get faded so quickly when i use armourall!

brandon

shoe pollish the stuff that comes in a bottle w/ a sponge applicater on the end of it. That will keep them looking good for about a year.

I find a good bit of dirt and tree hugging makes them look a lot better. Then they blend with the rest of the body much better. Of course if you like that just out of the shower look, just keep up the ArmorAll. It seems like they get addicted to that stuff.

luvdaxj said:
You could always take them off and paint them.

the body shop told me the paint would eventually peel off, and seeing as they rub up against trees sometimes, they'd scrape off pretty darn quick. should i go flareless?

shimmy said:
the body shop told me the paint would eventually peel off, and seeing as they rub up against trees sometimes, they'd scrape off pretty darn quick. should i go flareless?
If your're gonna go through all the trouble of re-applying whatever goo you choose to coat the flares- just take them off and fusion 'em. I've had mine done for 6 months, no chips, no peeling... it actually looks pretty good. I rub them on crap, my tires love to chew on them and they are holding up just fine. Lots of scratches but no peeling! Just make sure to clean them very well before you paint them.

Mineral Oil...cheaper than ArmorAll and does just as good a job. If you look at 3M Professional Tire Dressing, that is what the only ingredient is.

Try those Mr. Clean erasers. They come in a pack of two for about $2-3. I've used them for a similar problem on a Z-71. The white stuff covering the flares is wax build up. Some people heat their flares with a butane torch and say it works, they are burning the wax off. Try the erasers, if it don't work, then fusion those suckers. Nothing will get it off but the erasers, and maybe peanut butter. Trust me I've studied this with the Z-71 alot! Do you wash your jeep at those drive-through pressure washers?

TXjeep98 said:
Try those Mr. Clean erasers. They come in a pack of two for about $2-3. I've used them for a similar problem on a Z-71. The white stuff covering the flares is wax build up. Some people heat their flares with a butane torch and say it works, they are burning the wax off. Try the erasers, if it don't work, then fusion those suckers. Nothing will get it off but the erasers, and maybe peanut butter. Trust me I've studied this with the Z-71 alot! Do you wash your jeep at those drive-through pressure washers?

yeah the high pressure wash is what i've been using lately... what do ya mean, "fusion" i've never heard of that.

shimmy said:
yeah the high pressure wash is what i've been using lately... what do ya mean, "fusion" i've never heard of that.

Krylon(?) Fusion: It's that spray paint thats supposed to work very well on plastic without needing to sand a primer it. It "fuses" to the plastic. It's also supposed to flex with the plastic.

The pressure washer is where you are getting the wax from. Try the mr. clean erasers first. Trust me...

I've also used the Krylon camo paint on my flares. It holds up pretty well. I have a couple spots that have cracked off, but only where it has been hit hard against something.

you can use a butane torch to binng back teh black. Braise it evenly at a distance of 4-6 inches or so and it shoudl bring out the oils in the plastic and bring back the shine....

Mothers Back to Black. Just used them on mine and on the KJ. I like it alot!

WHoever had the XJ before me had the back bumper repainted and it's starting to flake off.....grrrrrrrrr. I used Armour All the first time and it came off first rain. Black magic Tire Foam is awesome for the tires. I always heard Armour All made the tires crack sooner than they should, so I quit using that. Plus Black Magic is cheaper :)

Mothers Back to Black isn't cheap. $4 and some change for a tiny bottle, but a little goes a long ways.

Back