• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB Bull bar installation?

ckh550

NAXJA Forum User
Any installation tips on installing a bull bar and winch to a 2000 XJ? I'll be working on it this weekend, any prior advice to anyone who's done it before or knows how to make it easy would be appreciated.

A set of jack stands and a friend are good things to have. I just installed the bumper because I can't afford a winch but it was still a heavy thing to install. Also, I found out the hard way that the lights in the bumper are made for turn signals, not parking lights. They will literally start melting the lens and parts of the housing if you wire them as parking lights.

I used my engine hoist with a tow strap wrapped around the bush bar portion to hang it when I installed mine. I was working solo so I didn't have anyone to help me lift and test fit.

If you want the bumper "square" with the Jeep you will have to test a fit a few times with the included shims. My Jeep required the shims on the driver's side. Make sure the Jeep is on level ground when installing. The "frame" of these things are like wet noodles - at least my 2001 is like that.

Also, make sure you understand how the winch is supposed to be mounted in the bumper. The lock/unlock handle is facing the ground on the drivers side of the Jeep.

I got all confused when I installed mine and ended up trying to cut a hole for the handle on the top of the bumper on the passenger side with a hand grinder. (Doh! Chris, sometimes you are such a bonehead!) Then I realized what I was doing wrong - got confused by the ARB mounting on my old Samurai and assumed it was supposed to be the same way. (rule #427: never assume anything)

Anyway, luckily I didn't get too carried away with the grinder. The hole I cut was just a touch larger and allowed the routing of the winch electrical wires to be a touch looser (i.e. easier to install).

Use anti-seize on the bolts - especially if you are in the rust belt. Makes removal for maintenance in the future a peice of cake.

HTH

r@m

ckh550 said:
Any installation tips on installing a bull bar and winch to a 2000 XJ? I'll be working on it this weekend, any prior advice to anyone who's done it before or knows how to make it easy would be appreciated.
get off the computer and try to put it on and give your self a tip

it's really not all that hard. just make sure you read the instructions before hand. i had to drill two large holes in the "frame" on my 98 for mounting. i'm sure yours will be no different. a good jack will really help and so will a friend that can lift/shift it around for you while you're bolting stuff up. good luck and take pictures.

I'll bring this thread back from the dead; the solo installation of an early XJ Bull Bar with a Warn XD9000 on my 2001 XJ has definitely taught me a few points.

1) Make sure that you have the bolts on the passenger side of the bumper in place before you mount the winch; otherwise you'll have to pull the winch back out to bolt it up (this is a B++CH without help; much better to fit them before installation on the Jeep and shift it around to fit).

2) The holes in the front crossmember may not be lined up well and may require grinding/filing to allow the nut plates to fit; without doing so my bolts wouldn't have gone through at all. I wish that I hadn't loaned out my die grinder before attempting the installation because I could have used it & been done in five minutes instead of an hour of filing to fit things up.

3) Don't forget to tighten the mounting bracket bolts BEFORE mounting the bar; you'll be pulling it off again if you do because the bolts that you cleared the above holes for are completely inaccessable once the bar is mounted!

4) I used a transmission jack from Harbor Freight to hold the bumper for mounting the winch & installing the bar on the XJ; the rachet strap held it securely while still allowing me to tilt it as needed to line it up and place the bolts without a major struggle.

5) If you are installing an early model XJ bar (`84-96) on a later model to get better tire clearance, you'll have to trim the inner wheelwell liner to mate up with the Bull Bar and not hang below the bodywork (or remove it completely). Also, you'll probably want to get one of the early vacuum cannisters if you want it to fit the mounting bracket on the bar. Use the screws and clip nuts from the late model cannister so that you don't have to drill out the mounting holes to fit the bolts used for the early cannister.

6) Before attempting to mount the winch on the bumper you'll need to drill out the roller fairlead to match the holes in the bar (it's in the instructions); it's also a good idea to use a dab of RTV to hold the captive nuts in the winch feet in place so that you don't have to wrestle them into place after the fact because they cocked or fell out of their mounting recess. If you'll do this first thing, they'll be well placed and held when you get around to mounting the winch in the bar.

7) Don't forget to connect the ground lug from the remote to the ground lug on the motor before mounting it; it's an oversight that will have you pulling the winch to correct! Holding a near 100 lb. winch overhead with one hand while trying to insert mounting bolts in NOT a fun task!

8) The instructions are adequate if somewhat sketchy; make sure that you read through them multiple times & take nothing for granted. You'll be much happier by the time you've finished if you do.

9) My XJ required two shims on each side, not 3-1 the way the instructions suggested for a first try. This is a good reason to fit things up before the final bolt-up is done. It was also helpful on my XJ (with it's 6" lift & 33's) to run the rear tires up on ramps to lower the nose and to use a Hi-Lift to push the bar as high as possible (the mounts are slotted) for a nice tight fit. Good fitment takes a little trial & error but is definitely worth the patience it requires.

10) Finally, mounting the remote solenoid box is not exactly textbook. Per the instructions, the mounting bracket is mounted first and then the box mounted on it. This did not work well at all! The bolts on the solenoid box required losening to position them to fit the bracket (done much easier before mounting it on the bumper). The bracket must be attached to the remote box before installing it on the bumper and then it must be mounted before the winch if you don't want to fight it. It's much easier to wire up everything prior to mounting the bumper since you'll only have two wires to connect to the battery once everything's on the Jeep.

Hope this helps someone; my experience wasn't as pleasant as I would have liked. Not impossible by any means, but still it could have been much easier if I'd known what I've just shared with you. Have fun & learn from my mistakes! :wave:

Thanks for the advice...I managed to put it on back in January..but still thanks!

cco175ranger said:
I was just looking at those post dates and was thinking... Man this guy must be having a hard time putting that bumper on for 10 months hahaha!!!

Yeah, I figured that it was probably too late for him; just wanted to put it out there for the next person who tries it and does a search to see if there's any experience with it posted. I found the thread when I started & saw that there never were any specifics added, so I decided that I'dd tack what I learned onto the post once it was installed. Like I said, I hope that it helps someone else with their install! :laugh3:

it is definatley going to help me!
thanks for taking the time to write it down.
NN4S, do you have any pictures of your 97+ cherokee with the pre 96 bumper mounted on it?
i am interested in seeing a side by side comparison of what the exact difference is in the two bumpers.

thanks!

kndrewa said:
it is definatley going to help me!
thanks for taking the time to write it down.
NN4S, do you have any pictures of your 97+ cherokee with the pre 96 bumper mounted on it?
i am interested in seeing a side by side comparison of what the exact difference is in the two bumpers.

thanks!

Here's a few of it with the bumper installed but the liners trimmed & tucked instead of removed. The plan is to remove them & Rhino-line the wheelwells and trim for TJ flares... hope they're what you were wanting. I'm still trying to find the time to pull it into the shop and install the SuperRails I got from AJ's Armor and rebuild the front end; that's when I plan on cleaning things up well for spraying the lining.

ARBinstalled4.JPG

ARBinstalled5.JPG

ARBinstalled3.JPG

ARBinstalled2.JPG

ARBinstalled1.JPG

Thank you very much for the pictures, they are EXACTLY what I wanted. I appreciate your help. I love the 2dr XJ, wish mine was! When you do your tj fenders, make sure to let me know, I think its an interesting and compelling route to take.

I wanted to see the pics so I could get an Idea what my fenders would need to be trimmed like to look clean.

THanks again!

Back