• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

u-joint clips

hillbilly_jeeper

NAXJA Member #1081
im not exactly new at installing u-joints, but i as thinknign and wondering today, is there a proper way to face the clips? i would think that how you install the open end of the clips would have at least a little impact on the streangh? meaning, because of the directional torque load trying to basially twist the cap out, you would want to enclosed side of the clip twards the side that would be more likely to try to pull out. does this really make a diffence, or am just over thinking things?

hillbilly_jeeper said:
im not exactly new at installing u-joints, but i as thinknign and wondering today, is there a proper way to face the clips? i would think that how you install the open end of the clips would have at least a little impact on the streangh? meaning, because of the directional torque load trying to basially twist the cap out, you would want to enclosed side of the clip twards the side that would be more likely to try to pull out. does this really make a diffence, or am just over thinking things?

I'm confused... isn't that clip symetric so it wouldn't matter which end goes on each side?

hillbilly_jeeper said:
does this really make a diffence, or am just over thinking things?

You're over thinking things....

The clip is bound to rotate some on it's own, so it makes no difference where you put it. Plus, the force will shear the snap ring before it forces it apart. Ask me how I know? :D

The postion of the clips around the cap doesn't make much difference. I've had the caps rotate in the yokes The end result is no matter where you put the clip to start with, it eventually works its way off. If you have that problem the solution is to use full circle clips, which requires some machine work, or aftermarket shafts. There is a difference however which face sits against the yoke. The clips are made in a broaching process, which leaves one side with a slightly rounded edge and the other with a sharp edge. The sharp edge should face the load applied to it. In other words, you want the sharper edge facing the towrd the center of the u-joint. If not, the rounded edge around the cap groove makes it easier for the clip to work its way off under load.

thanks. i havent had a problem before. i juts got 760 shafts from a wrecker, and tomarrow i'll be putting new joints in. just wanted to see if it made a diffence.....i spend a better part of my day driving for parts, like 200 miles a day average, so i have alot of time to think!

You know, I just realized you may be talking about the stock c-clips. I might have mistakenly assumed that you were talking about full circle clips, or snap rings. The stock style c-clips will only go in one way, because there is a lip on the inside of the yokes that keeps them from spinning and working loose.

Explorer made a good point...the same applies to snap rings of all types. There are some motorcyle trannies for example that will spit snaprings off if they are installed backwards.

i hate u joints. i just did mine and it took me 5 hours to do. im not retarded or anything but it was my first time ever pulling an axleshaft or anything like that, and im 17 so i dont have that much experience with anything but im learning. i think i may have put those clips in wrong but its so cold outside(11 degrees) that i just dont care. lol

Goatman said:
You know, I just realized you may be talking about the stock c-clips. I might have mistakenly assumed that you were talking about full circle clips, or snap rings. The stock style c-clips will only go in one way, because there is a lip on the inside of the yokes that keeps them from spinning and working loose.

your right....thats what happens when you'r day dreaming, and dont have it in front of you to look at. forgot that you can really only put the clips on one way. havent done any in over a year. thanks for the info, though!

Back