• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timing Chain Cover Gasket

XJ4PINOY

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all! On my 88 4.0L XJ i've got a pretty good oil leak on the front of the engine right around the alternator. Now I just dropped the oil pan and replaced the oil pan gasket twice but I think when I had to wedge the botle jack between the frame and pan to get it off the first time I might of pulled something else apart or stretched something (Timing chain cover gasket?) So question now is.....How involved is changing the Timing chain cover gasket? What will I have to do and take apart?

TIA

It's kind of a PITA, you have to pull the harmonic balancer, and I think a couple of the cover bolts/studs hold on the p/s pump and/or the alternator.

If you reseal the cover, put in a new front crank seal in the cover too.

Thanks "CHI" Would I need to pull the radiator off to gain more room?

XJ4PINOY said:
Thanks "CHI" Would I need to pull the radiator off to gain more room?

Ummmm....... that would be yes, I probably should have mentioned that. I doubt that you would be able to get a puller in there on the balancer with the radiator in place.

I did mine a couple of weeks ago, but it was on an engine stand....... just a little easier. And I used a high-temp RTV on the cover.

I changed the front seal behind the vibration damper without removing the radiator on my 87xj 4.0l. If I remember correctly, the radiator did not extend down that far and the puller cleared easily.

Back